Navigate the World via three words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
That seems to be exactly it.. or, as mentioned upthread, a solution looking for a problem.
I don't see it like that. You can let someone know exactly where to find you or a place or anything, in any place with just 3 words. No map reference, no postcode,
no directions. It could be the middle of a moor or a forest or out at sea.
Sat navs will have this built in (or something like it)

I want to go to:

ahead.pages.basis.

No punching in post codes, no fiddling, just tell it.

colly

Re member eR
I must be really thick im just not understanding this at all, how a sat nav know what ahead.pages.basis. meant
haha It doesn't. Not yet anyway. It will need a system that has voice regcognition built in and a program to enable it to use the 'What3Words' information.

It's the future innit?

A company could have it included on documents and websites etc as part of their address.

Tell the taxi to meet you at : 'whatever. here. there.' and they will know which corner you will be on or whereabouts you are out in the sicks, Same for ambulances etc , injured party is at.... and they know exactly where they are.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
So as far as I can see - the idea is to use these 3 slightly cryptic 3 word codes to replace the Postcode as a means of fixing a location ?
Postcodes can cover a huge area - the app was featured on Look North (Yorkshire) last night as a way of informing the emergency services of your exact location. Works off GPS so it presumably generates the words from the GPS co-ordinates. Seems to me to be an obvious addition to any cyclists/hikers/walkers phone hopefully never to be used in anger.

D

Deleted member 26715

Postcodes can cover a huge area
Are you sure you're not thinking of Zip Codes, can't remember the exact number now but there is an upper limit to the number of properties in a postcode & it's not that large

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Think of it as three random words for a grid reference anywhere in the world.

I haven’t checked, but wonder where in the world I would be at if I were at whiskey/tango/foxtrot.

Edit just checked.... No exact match, but there are 3 near matches.

CBAE2453-FDF3-4885-9D19-4C9556CC07EC.jpeg

Handy for emergency services or armed forces to pinpoint a precise location for rescue or military action.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Are you sure you're not thinking of Zip Codes, can't remember the exact number now but there is an upper limit to the number of properties in a postcode & it's not that large
They can be quite extensive in rural areas.

Top Bottom