Navigation without smartphone, daily usage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Esmith

Hi, I'm disabled and my electric trike is my only form of transport and gets used every day. I need some sort of sat nav, must put up with all weather (so rain, snow and sun), turn by turn directions (preferably not involving a headphone) and one that doesn't need a connection to a smartphone because all I've got is a PAYG brick. I don't need all the stats on speed and cadence etc, although mileage would be useful. My trike isn't exactly streamlined so bulk/weight isn't an issue. I will plan routes in advance (on a tablet/chromebook if I can't do so on the gadget) and a 2+ hour battery would be fine. I've been looking at various computers and am totally bamboozled by the choice. I also wondered about getting a heavy duty, waterproof, second-hand smart phone (there is a samsung on ebay recommended for builders etc) and using an app but I 'm not sure how much data that would use and I don't want a contract. Can some kind person point me in the direction of some simple computers, because I don't want to be splashing out on something which has a lot of features I will never use?

iluvmybike

Über Member
One of the cheaper Garmin gps units would do what you need

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I can't recommend specific brands over others as i have never used them, but Motorcyclists have satnav devices so they should meet your requirements. I believe Garmin have the 'Zumo' models and Tomtom have the 'Rider' models which cater to this. Hope this gives you another angle to attack your query if nothing else...

Top Bottom