NCN 14/EV12 - a Darlington to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've the opportunity to do a DIY imperial century but would love some route advice please, route is Darlington to Embleton (nr Alnwick). So basically Darlington, Sunderland, Tynemouth, then I'll ride mostly Coast and Castles as I'm familiar with that bit.

So I'm thinking from Darlington it's into Sedgefield, Fishburn, Trimdon, Wheatley, then jump onto NCN14/EV12 at Shotton Colliery and right through to Ryhope and continue on the NCN1/EV12 to Tynemouth.
I'll be riding on 25/28mm Conti GP4000 tyres. I want to make progress as it's a long enough day out without any slow bits, I'm happy on the roads listed as far as Wheatley as I've driven them - albeit they are a bit lumpy for my liking/gearing but hey-ho.

So essentially I'm asking does anyone know what the surfaces are like on EV12 between Shotton Colliery and Ryhope? Looks like it should all be surfaced (from the map key) but as street view is sketchy, or out of sight, or indeed looked rough and/or wet I need local knowledge, as although I've read many sections of EV12 have been upgraded few of the place names meant anything and I couldn't get a feel for continuity of tarmac.

The NCN1 route up past Skerne reservoir and around the wind farm looks fantastic scenery but maybe too rough, so that's for another day/bike/fatter tyres I think, shame as colliery tracks have gradients I can generally cope with :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My choice would be to head from Darlo to Thorpe Thewles and pick up NCN 1 from there.

You could either suffer a mile on the A66 - I'm fairly sure there's a path beside the dual carriageway - to the Sadberge turning, then take the minor road to Whinney Hill, then a left (north) to Redmarshall and on to Thorpe Thewles.

Or leave Darlo on NCN 14 which takes you on a gentle southerly curve towards Stockton.

You cross the A66 south to north at a graded junction, then it's a 'left', essentially continuing north, to Redmarshall, which is signposted.

Make sure you don't take the other minor road on the north side of the A66 which takes you into Stockton, from where things will get very complicated.

One way or another you are now at Thorpe Thewles.

Toilets and a converted railway station cafe at Thorpe Thewles.

The cafe closes fairly early, but there's a handy tap in the garden on the non-platform side.

Parts of NCN 1 are bumpy, but the majority of it is well surfaced gravel track.

The stretch just south of Shotton can be muddy in winter/rain, but ought to be OK at this time of year.

I believe the boardwalks - the stretch that takes you over a boggy bit beside Shotton (international) airport - have been redone, but they were OK before, basically chicken wire (for grip) over wooden boards.

Care still needed because there are no barriers, one slip and you are in the gloop.

Incidentally, the bog is man made, created to neutralise the remains of a WW2 ammo dump.

Swifter progress can be made north of Shotton, although watch out for a couple of road crossings which are approached via a couple of sharp bends and a short, steep descent.

Grab a low gear as you cross the roads because you will need if for the reverse procedure on the other side.

As you get somewhere near Murton the railway gradient is in your favour, which means a few miles of gentle descent on good gravel into Ryhope, although the last mile or so is a bit bumpy.

No clever way to hack through Sunderland.

Simplest to take the B1287 Ryhope Road - it's the only road north out of Ryhope to Sunderland.

It becomes an urban dual carriageway in Sunderland, but there's loads of traffic lights and speed cameras so motorists stick to the 30mph limit.

A few ways through the small centre of Sunderland, but you are aiming for the Wearmouth (town) Bridge, signposted South Shields.

Cross that on the right hand path if you can, because you are then handy for an immediate right on the other side onto NCN 1 which runs beside the Wear estuary, which quickly becomes the North Sea.

The path is shared with pedestrians and is decent tarmac all the way to South Shields.

It's beside the road all the way.

Nothing to stop you jumping on the road for extra speed, a lot of roadies do that, but the path is more relaxing.

I usually use the road as you leave Sunderland, strictly the coastal resort of Seaburn, to go through Whitburn, because NCN1 becomes a bit of a fiddle at this point for no real benefit.

It's only about a mile before you can jump back onto the roadside path again.

Keep the sea to your right and you won't go far wrong.

I've routed you to Shields to cross the Tyne using the ferry.

The alternative is the pedestrian/cycle tunnel at Jarrow, but that's a complicated route of several miles inland only to go coastwards again because you are aiming for Tynemouth.

The ferry crosses to the Fish Quay, which is only a mile or so from Tynemouth, more shared path coastal action before a short, sharp climb, a short, sharp descent, and another short, sharp climb to the priory.

Public toilets at the ferry landing on the north side, worth bearing in mind because there aren't really any unobserved bushes to go behind between Ryhope and Shields.

All doable on 25mm tyres, but if you have the choice I would recommend 28s.

OP
OP
N
My choice would be to head from Darlo to Thorpe Thewles and pick up NCN 1 from there. ✔ I'll go from Brampton across
Toilets and a converted railway station cafe at Thorpe Thewles. 🍰
The cafe closes fairly early, but there's a handy tap in the garden on the non-platform side.
Parts of NCN 1 are bumpy, but the majority of it is well surfaced gravel track. ✔
The stretch just south of Shotton can be muddy in winter/rain, but ought to be OK at this time of year. ✔
I believe the boardwalks - the stretch that takes you over a boggy bit beside Shotton (international) airport - have been redone, but they were OK before, basically chicken wire (for grip) over wooden boards. ✔
Care still needed because there are no barriers, one slip and you are in the gloop. :ohmy:
Incidentally, the bog is man made, created to neutralise the remains of a WW2 ammo dump. :okay:
Swifter progress can be made north of Shotton, although watch out for a couple of road crossings which are approached via a couple of sharp bends and a short, steep descent.✔
Grab a low gear as you cross the roads because you will need if for the reverse procedure on the other side. ✔
As you get somewhere near Murton the railway gradient is in your favour, which means a few miles of gentle descent on good gravel into Ryhope, although the last mile or so is a bit bumpy.✔
No clever way to hack through Sunderland. So I see
Simplest to take the B1287 Ryhope Road - it's the only road north out of Ryhope to Sunderland. B1522 on some maps?
It becomes an urban dual carriageway in Sunderland, but there's loads of traffic lights and speed cameras so motorists stick to the 30mph limit.✔
A few ways through the small centre of Sunderland, but you are aiming for the Wearmouth (town) Bridge, signposted South Shields.✔
Cross that on the right hand path if you can, because you are then handy for an immediate right on the other side onto NCN 1 which runs beside the Wear estuary, which quickly becomes the North Sea.✔
The path is shared with pedestrians and is decent tarmac all the way to South Shields. It's beside the road all the way.✔
Nothing to stop you jumping on the road for extra speed, a lot of roadies do that, but the path is more relaxing.✔
I usually use the road as you leave Sunderland, strictly the coastal resort of Seaburn, to go through Whitburn, because NCN1 becomes a bit of a fiddle at this point for no real benefit. ✔ I'm thinking of hopping on and off road depending on how slow the track might be
It's only about a mile before you can jump back onto the roadside path again.✔
Keep the sea to your right and you won't go far wrong. :laugh:
The alternative is the pedestrian/cycle tunnel at Jarrow, but that's a complicated route of several miles inland only to go coastwards again because you are aiming for Tynemouth. If I'm ahead of schedule I intend to do the tunnels, I've got GPS loaded for the loop
The ferry crosses to the Fish Quay, which is only a mile or so from Tynemouth, more shared path coastal action before a short, sharp climb, a short, sharp descent, and another short, sharp climb to the priory. ✔ I don't like short sharp
Public toilets at the ferry landing on the north side, worth bearing in mind because there aren't really any unobserved bushes to go behind between Ryhope and Shields. ✔ Good call, bladder capacity at my age...
All doable on 25mm tyres, but if you have the choice I would recommend 28s. ✔

That's great detail thanks, see ticks and stuff above and thoughts below and cheeky requests for more help, though I've got plenty here!

I'm pleased the section between Thorpe Thewles and Wingate is doable as the reservoir and wind turbines looks a great area, so I'll re-route that way, found Ryhope Rd looks like I can turn off right to then run parallel and get a good approach to the bridge. Any thoughts on running parallel to A183/NCN1 and using Lizard Lane (behind quarry) then B1301 to Westoe (or Harton) and across to Tyne Dock for Tunnel? Fancy the tunnels for heritage/history, but if struggling for time might use the ferry (but doomed really if I am behind by then).
From Tynemouth I'll ride mostly NCN1 but on road for Whitley Bay to Hartley and Crofton.
My last bail out point is Druridge Bay when my 'support' has to head off but at 80ish I should know if I can do it :laugh:.

Thanks again

OP
OP
N
I'm riding the route on Wed June 2nd if the weather plays ball, I want sunny but only 18C, with a stiff breeze from the south (but will settle for dry).

toffee

Guru
My choice would be to head from Darlo to Thorpe Thewles and pick up NCN 1 from there.

You could either suffer a mile on the A66 - I'm fairly sure there's a path beside the dual carriageway - to the Sadberge turning, then take the minor road to Whinney Hill, then a left (north) to Redmarshall and on to Thorpe Thewles.

Or leave Darlo on NCN 14 which takes you on a gentle southerly curve towards Stockton.

You cross the A66 south to north at a graded junction, then it's a 'left', essentially continuing north, to Redmarshall, which is signposted.

Make sure you don't take the other minor road on the north side of the A66 which takes you into Stockton, from where things will get very complicated.

The stretch just south of Shotton can be muddy in winter/rain, but ought to be OK at this time of year.

I believe the boardwalks - the stretch that takes you over a boggy bit beside Shotton (international) airport - have been redone, but they were OK before, basically chicken wire (for grip) over wooden boards.

Care still needed because there are no barriers, one slip and you are in the gloop.

Incidentally, the bog is man made, created to neutralise the remains of a WW2 ammo dump.

Swifter progress can be made north of Shotton, although watch out for a couple of road crossings which are approached via a couple of sharp bends and a short, steep descent.

Grab a low gear as you cross the roads because you will need if for the reverse procedure on the other side.

As you get somewhere near Murton the railway gradient is in your favour, which means a few miles of gentle descent on good gravel into Ryhope, although the last mile or so is a bit bumpy.

Simplest to take the B1287 Ryhope Road - it's the only road north out of Ryhope to Sunderland.

It becomes an urban dual carriageway in Sunderland, but there's loads of traffic lights and speed cameras so motorists stick to the 30mph limit.

A few ways through the small centre of Sunderland, but you are aiming for the Wearmouth (town) Bridge, signposted South Shields.

Cross that on the right hand path if you can, because you are then handy for an immediate right on the other side onto NCN 1 which runs beside the Wear estuary, which quickly becomes the North Sea.

The path is shared with pedestrians and is decent tarmac all the way to South Shields.

Nothing to stop you jumping on the road for extra speed, a lot of roadies do that, but the path is more relaxing.

I usually use the road as you leave Sunderland, strictly the coastal resort of Seaburn, to go through Whitburn, because NCN1 becomes a bit of a fiddle at this point for no real benefit.

The alternative is the pedestrian/cycle tunnel at Jarrow, but that's a complicated route of several miles inland only to go coastwards again because you are aiming for Tynemouth.

The ferry crosses to the Fish Quay, which is only a mile or so from Tynemouth, more shared path coastal action before a short, sharp climb, a short, sharp descent, and another short, sharp climb to the priory.

Public toilets at the ferry landing on the north side, worth bearing in mind because there aren't really any unobserved bushes to go behind between Ryhope and Shields.

There used to be public toilets outside Marden Grotto

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9GTQoyobtdRpBCX16

Don't know if they are still in use

Tribansman

Veteran

That is incredibly detailed and helpful route advice! I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm planning at some point to attempt to do 500km in 24 hours. To keep it flat the rough route I've planned is Letchworth to Alnwick. Anyway, that routes me through Sunderland and Newcastle.

Would that be the best way to go in your view, and would the route you've set out above enable relatively swift progress? (I initially thought of avoiding Sunderland and Newcastle as plodding through urban areas and lights can take ages, especially as I'll be pretty broken by then, but veering West looks to be quite hilly and at that stage in the ride, even a 2% gradient will feel tough!)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
found Ryhope Rd looks like I can turn off right to then run parallel and get a good approach to the bridge

The A1018 parallel to Ryhope Road at the point you would join it (Toll Bar) is not for cycling.

I don't say that lightly, but it's a new, fast urban route with graded junctions and no cycling infrastructure, apart from riding on the tiny margin to the left of the white line.

As you've spotted, the B1287 Ryhope Road does become the B1522 closer to Sunderland city centre.

Being an urban route, it tends to be referred to by name rather than number, so it becomes Stockton Road at that point.

A little local colour - there's a small parade of shops on the right hand side, one of which used to be a chemist run by the adoptive parents of BBC war correspondent Kate Adie.

She lived above the shop with them, and was schooled locally.

Some wry comment from the locals that she didn't acquire the cut glass BBC accent living on that patch.

Back to routes, the simplest is to follow Sunderland's little ring road St Mary's Way to Wearmouth Bridge.

After the second roundabout you need to be on the cyclepath anyway to get yourself over the bridge.

You can cycle on the main bridge deck, but no one does because there are decent paths each side.

You will naturally cross on the 'wrong' inland side, so you will need to stop at the end of the bridge and cross the road (pedestrian lights and central refuge) to reach the path to take you up the coast towards Shields.

Pedestrian/cycle tunnel.

I was afraid you'd want to do that because it involves an entirely different route.

Using Lizard Lane and hacking west through the likes of Harton and Westoe makes no sense to me.

Lizard Lane is hilly, and you really need to be tracking north west a lot earlier.

Decision time for me would be at the Ryhope Road roundabout in Grangetown, just south of Sunderland.

Straight on for Ryhope Road if you are aiming for the ferry, but take the previous exit - Queen Alexandra Road - if you are headed for the tunnel.

Your first waypoint is Sunderland's new bridge over Wear, marked as the A1231 on the map.

Queen Alexandra Road leads naturally into the likes of Barnes Park Road, Ormonde Street, past Sunderland Royal Hospital, through Pallion, then join the A1231 a little shy of the bridge.

Cross on the cycle track on the left side, because at the end of the bridge you need to turn back on yourself to drop down to Timber Beach Road - Wessington Way is not suitable for cycling.

At the first roundabout on Timber Beach, turn right to cross Wessington Way, either by a busy roundabout, or the ped/cycle bridge which has spiral walkways on both ends.

Head west through Castletown until you reach Ferryboat Lane, parallel to the A19.

Turn right (north), and at the top of Ferryboat Lane there is a cycle bridge over the A19, past the North East Air Museum on the right with the Nissan factory to the left.

You now need Follingsby Lane which takes to the graded junction with the A194(M), straight on, then look out for the right turn entrance to the Monckton Cycleway - more flat gravel - which more or less spits you out at the tunnel entrance.

The cycleway turning is easy to miss.

Phew, hopefully you will be able to follow the above with the aid of maps.

Using the tunnel may make sense because my carefully honed Thorpe Thewles/ferry route may bring you up short on mileage, designed as it is to be good cycling and direct.

Bear in mind the tunnel itself is still not finished, so you will have to use the small lift, or bump the bike down and up a lot of stairs.

It's not unknown for one of the lifts to be out of action, so if you are unlucky, you may have to use the stairs one side or the other.

The lift is also small, really only designed for spare/wheelchair use, so there can be a short queue.

My admittedly lumpy ebike only just fits in on the diagonal.

Once on the other side, you will probably be routed to Royal Quays, then past the ferry landing towards Tynemouth.

Which neatly illustrates how the tunnel is the long way around.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That is incredibly detailed and helpful route advice! I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm planning at some point to attempt to do 500km in 24 hours. To keep it flat the rough route I've planned is Letchworth to Alnwick. Anyway, that routes me through Sunderland and Newcastle.

Would that be the best way to go in your view, and would the route you've set out above enable relatively swift progress? (I initially thought of avoiding Sunderland and Newcastle as plodding through urban areas and lights can take ages, especially as I'll be pretty broken by then, but veering West looks to be quite hilly and at that stage in the ride, even a 2% gradient will feel tough!)

You are spot on that west means hills on this manor.

Avoiding Sunderland/Newcastle would presumably put you through County Durham, which is very lumpy, then inland Northumberland, which is the same.

That route just screams 'no' to me, particularly as part of a longer ride.

The coast is relatively flat, so the sooner you can get across to it, the better.

If you can put up with Sunderland/Shields ferry to cross the Tyne, you will not get within 10 miles of Newcastle.

The coast road can be busy with visitors, particularly between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay, but that shouldn't bother you over much on a bike, and there's bike paths beside a lot of it.

Worth having a think about which Tyne crossing to take.

Goodness knows what time you will reach the river on a 500, but the tunnel has the advantage of being open 24 hours, although that's worth checking again before you set off.

Another option would be to ignore Sunderland and cross the Tyne at the blinking eye bridge in Gateshead.

I would be inclined to head coastwards from there, which would keep you out of central Newcastle, and be a good hill avoidance strategy.

Tribansman

Veteran
You are spot on that west means hills on this manor.

Avoiding Sunderland/Newcastle would presumably put you through County Durham, which is very lumpy, then inland Northumberland, which is the same.

That route just screams 'no' to me, particularly as part of a longer ride.

The coast is relatively flat, so the sooner you can get across to it, the better.

If you can put up with Sunderland/Shields ferry to cross the Tyne, you will not get within 10 miles of Newcastle.

The coast road can be busy with visitors, particularly between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay, but that shouldn't bother you over much on a bike, and there's bike paths beside a lot of it.

Worth having a think about which Tyne crossing to take.

Goodness knows what time you will reach the river on a 500, but the tunnel has the advantage of being open 24 hours, although that's worth checking again before you set off.

Another option would be to ignore Sunderland and cross the Tyne at the blinking eye bridge in Gateshead.

I would be inclined to head coastwards from there, which would keep you out of central Newcastle, and be a good hill avoidance strategy.
Grea tips and suggestions thanks. I'll have a go at modifying my route based on what you say.

Can't beat local knowledge 👍

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
There used to be public toilets outside Marden Grotto

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9GTQoyobtdRpBCX16

Don't know if they are still in use

Cannot be sure they are open every day, but, they are frequently open when we pass that way. Not 24/7 but, I don't know exact times.

There are also public toilets at South Shields, behind fairground, and, beside the Lifeboat beside Pier Pavilion Theatre, also, I think still there, in Market Place, beside Ferry Landing.

If you are really desperate (not for toilet), if you click on PensionersOnWheels link below, and search around a bit, there should be video of the Seaburn to South Shields Ferry stretch (we go on road from Whitburn to Marsden, then, shared path). See here, start at 5 of 9, to 6 or 7, which show Glass Centre to Whitburn, and/or here starting at 3 of 8 about 6 minutes in, to 6 of 8, for Whitburn to South Shields Ferry.

Finally, if you do decide to use the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel (interesting), be aware, lifts are frequently not working, and carrying a bicycle down, and then up a stationary wooden escalator is not for the faint hearted!, As @PaleRider says, I would use the Ferry. Some good Fish and Chips on the Fish Quay, if you are that way inclined. ;)

Last edited:

Lookrider

All very good Input from pale rider and boldon lad
Local Input is great and helpful
Apologies 1st for not meaning to step on anyones toes..but I can complicate things a little more for you ...
If you do want the cycle tunnel
It can also be approached via this way to which it is very direct and signposted...may be a little longer but avoiding a lot of turns etc may make it much faster and easier
So you know the location of lizard lane and the quarry... 150metres north of the quarry you will see on the map a little horse shoe " lay by " on the left ...this is also the entrance to an off rd cycle path in regular use

It can also be accessed avoiding lizrd lane long climb from the coast rd
Opposite the toilets at marsden grotto ( mentioned earluer) is a cut in between the semi detached houses
Go through.turn left follow rd for 80mtrs and the track entrance is in front of you

On the cycle track follow to end 600mts onto quarry lane rd ( safe)
Straight down 1 mile to junction
Cross over to park ave ...straight down 500mts to main rd dual carriageway ( king george rd ...no idea of its number )
Cross to other side turn right on the bus cycle lane fir 400mt at roundabout the tyne tunnel cycle path is signposted and is off rd via tarmac path all the way to the tunnel

I dont know what maps you prefer but I look at cylestreets as there all clearly marked ...unfortunately I dont know how to provide a link to follow this alternative

Again apologies to others and for complicating things a little more for you

Lookrider

Pale rider / boldon lad
Curiously why is this cycle route NC1 also have the abbreviation of EV12
As the OP made me aware of it
It can only go to confuse people from outside this area as I for one have never known it called that
Parts of the NC1 even have this painted into the tarmac ...maybe confusing others ?

Maybe you can put me right ??

Top Bottom