NCN 14/EV12 - a Darlington to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedro_orange

If you want to stop at roker there's always the cycling themed fausto coffee on roker beach at the end of the c2c route. Other than that crack on to South shields or tynemouth.

OP
OP
N
OK then latest plan is have my pack up somewhere around 25m, then a quick walk on the glass roof (if dry?) it might be fun in SPD shoes... Then up to Tynemouth Priory or somewhere nearby not too Range Roverish, or up at Cullercoats and my support team can look for somewhere suitable. Cresswell is the afternoon stop at Drift Cafe. (other hostelries noted for emergency cake)
Thanks for warning about Seaton Sluice.

OP
OP
N
Just zoomed in on Glass place and Fausto area, seems quite a bit there, I might need to ride it again and take breaks at 1/3rds instead of every 1/4. I haven't ruled out a return route using the Wagonways yet, outbound depends on the weather (week Wednesday) but the return depends on weather and legs :ohmy: as it's only the following Saturday...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've ridden NCN1 from Tynemouth to Edinburgh and have an idea of quicker bits, so plan is to run on road from Tynemouth (around skatepark really) and stay on it to go left around caravan park, and on through Old Hartley to Blyth, dropping towards water at Army reserve place to run through centre of Industrial Park to pick up coast route under the bridge. UNLESS the bridge is worth a ride for views? Won't follow NCN1 back to coast once across water, instead go past the cement works. Staying with NCN from there all the way including Druridge slow bit to get to Creswell Drift Cafe (last bail out option) and for rest of route - though not at Boulmer as that is very slow, so a diversion there into Long Houghton.
Sounds good - you know the area pretty well.

No, I wouldn't bother with using the Spine Road bridge, on a nice day the riverside route is much prettier. Often surprises me that Blyth can look so nice!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
there's always the cycling themed fausto coffee on roker beach

There is, although it's a bit espresso and artisanal carrot cake for my liking.

Sue's next door offers more suitable food for a growing lad.

Burger, chips, and a mug of tea.

Job done.

Thanks for warning about Seaton Sluice.

The alternative, going around the coast side of the caravan park, is a much better job unless you are really pushing on.

Look out for the left turn onto the gravel track off the St Mary's service road, which takes you through a car park, then up a bank into the back streets of Seaton Sluice.

You will probably pass another cafe in those streets, it's a bit Miss Marpleish inside, but my group has always found the food decent.

Handy railings outside for bike locking, and a nice, peaceful memorial-type garden opposite with sea views if you have the luxury of idling away some time.

Often surprises me that Blyth can look so nice!

I've always rather liked your bit at South Beach, certainly for a bike stop.

Without getting too poetic, It seems to have a nice quality of light.

The town centre is a bit average, but we usually avoid that by going through the well kept park with the bowling club (and another cafe) in it.

Then it's skirting around the port which I find interesting because it's buildings and other stuff I rarely see.

The track inland to cross the river and the route back out to the coast towards Cambois is good, mixed cycling, so no complaints there.

Last time I passed there was a small cafe in the port advertising itself as for NCN 1 cyclists.

Not sure if it's still there.

annedonnelly

You will probably pass another cafe in those streets, it's a bit Miss Marpleish inside, but my group has always found the food decent.

Closed and re-opened with new owners. No idea what it's like, but the owner cannot be as miserable as the last guy!

Last time I passed there was a small cafe in the port advertising itself as for NCN 1 cyclists.

Not sure if it's still there.

There's something by the uni buildings at the end nearest the park. The one at the north end next to Catapult has gone.

byegad

Legendary Member
That's great detail thanks, see ticks and stuff above and thoughts below and cheeky requests for more help, though I've got plenty here!

I'm pleased the section between Thorpe Thewles and Wingate is doable as the reservoir and wind turbines looks a great area, so I'll re-route that way, found Ryhope Rd looks like I can turn off right to then run parallel and get a good approach to the bridge. Any thoughts on running parallel to A183/NCN1 and using Lizard Lane (behind quarry) then B1301 to Westoe (or Harton) and across to Tyne Dock for Tunnel? Fancy the tunnels for heritage/history, but if struggling for time might use the ferry (but doomed really if I am behind by then).
From Tynemouth I'll ride mostly NCN1 but on road for Whitley Bay to Hartley and Crofton.
My last bail out point is Druridge Bay when my 'support' has to head off but at 80ish I should know if I can do it :laugh:.

Thanks again
One point is that the Thorpe Thewles to Wingate section had*, and maybe still has, anti motorcycle measures along it, wide handlebars and panniers mean difficulties at each barrier.

*Up to 10 years ago I was the Ranger on the section, until they reorganised the areas. The group that I became a member of were overly fond of barriers and the section to the North of Wingate is scattered with them. As a recumbent rider they made the route impassable, so I withdrew my services.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Closed and re-opened with new owners. No idea what it's like, but the owner cannot be as miserable as the last guy!

There's something by the uni buildings at the end nearest the park. The one at the north end next to Catapult has gone.

Ta.

We were served by a woman in the first place who was polite enough.

I did wonder about the other one, it didn't look very permanent when I passed so I'm not surprised it's no longer there.

Not that there's any danger of the OP dying of hunger given all the other feeding opportunities.

Will he also pass Asda?

I can't recall if that's on this route or not.

I find supermarkets quite handy on a long bike ride.

The snacking/lunch stuff is usually close to the entrance and you can get a couple of pieces of fruit, something which is rarely available in cafes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One point is that the Thorpe Thewles to Wingate section had*, and maybe still has, anti motorcycle measures along it, wide handlebars and panniers mean difficulties at each barrier.

*Up to 10 years ago I was the Ranger on the section, until they reorganised the areas. The group that I became a member of were overly fond of barriers and the section to the North of Wingate is scattered with them. As a recumbent rider they made the route impassable, so I withdrew my services.

There are a few restrictions on the route, but I've found it to better in that respect than many other Sustrans paths.

Good progress can be made, at least on a bicycle, which makes it a viable point to point route.

A few years ago Durham County Council announced it was removing some restrictions with the promise they would swiftly return if the 'privilege' was abused.

So it may be there aren't now quite as many as you recall.

I am bound to say the most likely place on my patch to come across a quad bike hooligan is on the stretch towards Wingate.

byegad

Legendary Member
There are a few restrictions on the route, but I've found it to better in that respect than many other Sustrans paths.

Good progress can be made, at least on a bicycle, which makes it a viable point to point route.

A few years ago Durham County Council announced it was removing some restrictions with the promise they would swiftly return if the 'privilege' was abused.

So it may be there aren't now quite as many as you recall.

I am bound to say the most likely place on my patch to come across a quad bike hooligan is on the stretch towards Wingate.

I'm glad to hear that some may have gone. As for motorbikes and quads, they were still using the path while the barriers were up. They simply smashed down a fence or two elsewhere and gained access that way.

annedonnelly

Ta.

We were served by a woman in the first place who was polite enough.

I did wonder about the other one, it didn't look very permanent when I passed so I'm not surprised it's no longer there.
It was on a boat IIRC so even that has gone.

Not that there's any danger of the OP dying of hunger given all the other feeding opportunities.

Will he also pass Asda?

I can't recall if that's on this route or not.

I find supermarkets quite handy on a long bike ride.

The snacking/lunch stuff is usually close to the entrance and you can get a couple of pieces of fruit, something which is rarely available in cafes.
He wouldn't have to go far off the route in the town centre to get to Morrison's, then where he mentions turning down to the riverside path there is "mini" Asda & Lidl. To get to the Asda you mean near the Spine Road he'd come up away from the river and if he was doing that may as well cross using the Spine Road bridge to see the "views".

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yep, I was thinking of the bike cafe which was up a gangplank to a boat, and I recall seeing another catering opportunity nearby in what looked like a university building, although it didn't appear to be close to the entrance.

Not that I stopped to investigate properly in either instance.

I think I called into Morrison's in the days when NCN 1 was routed through the town centre.

I had one map (inadvertently left in cafe) which had two NCN 1s marked as ways through Blyth, although I think the town centre one no longer officially exists.

We crossed on the Spine Road bridge on once occasion - good views as you say.

The last couple of times we've used a much smaller bridge which is only a few feet above the water.

South to north did involve a niggly climb afterwards, but since you know the patch much better than me, I'd follow your suggestion and avoid the Spine Road Bridge.

Blyth does have its detractors, but I much prefer it to Newbiggin, which always strikes me as grim.

The churchyard just on the coast looks like something out of Wuthering Heights.

Me and Steve - who I think you met - once made the mistake of exploring Cambois because I liked the sound of the name.

Not much there, which is fair enough, but what there is also grim.

OP
OP
N
As I'm semi-suported I'll be fine for supplies! All hostelries and cafe's are noted for sneaky extra food/drink if I'm making good time! I'm not sure supermarkets need my business but small independent places I will try and use. Sue's sounds more my style than a posh coffee house, for one thing instant is as the name suggests rather quicker than waiting on a barista (on a group ride), as I'm solo and do like a flat white or a latte I might find one somewhere that isn't busy.

OP
OP
N
I loved riding through Blyth lots of industrial is a nice counterpoint to the scenery, I'm sure it has a dark underbelly but can't be any worse than Birkenhead docks near me. The big cable reel place had so many reels of every size! Will avoid Cambois, but I liked exploring Amble the new gentrified dock shops are rather good (great cheese stall).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I liked exploring Amble the new gentrified dock shops are rather good (great cheese stall).

The redeveloped bit of Amble is smart, but the town centre remains disappointingly run down, and I doubt lockdown has done much to improve it.

The offshore RNLI boat at Amble is worth a look.

It has the latest 'jet' propulsion - no external propellers, it just churns water at an enormous rate and pressure.

Cost about £2.2m.

Top Bottom