NCN 14/EV12 - a Darlington to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N
Looking into latest variations Pale Rider has the inland across to the tunnel being pretty much the same distance as staying on ferry route then tracking inland, I've not looked at the elevation profile yet, I guess the coast route is prettier and the tunnel is then a diversion if I want it. I will plot all the options properly and have a look later.
Just off to look at the latest suggestion for surface etc. but I'll have to go on cyclestreets to look first at that as I can't quite see it on cycle.travel OSM maps, and I want all the routes through the same planner for consistency of result.
I'm having fun and again thanks everyone.

Lookrider

Looking into latest variations Pale Rider has the inland across to the tunnel being pretty much the same distance as staying on ferry route then tracking inland, I've not looked at the elevation profile yet, I guess the coast route is prettier and the tunnel is then a diversion if I want it. I will plot all the options properly and have a look later.
Just off to look at the latest suggestion for surface etc. but I'll have to go on cyclestreets to look first at that as I can't quite see it on cycle.travel OSM maps, and I want all the routes through the same planner for consistency of result.
I'm having fun and again thanks everyone.

Our coast line is spectacular and has a very rideable of rd path on the very edges of the shoreline ...much better than the urban jungle
The route your looking at to the ferry via the coast...also heads towards the tunnel ...it is longer but you then have both options infront of you
Cross the ferry ...or continue along river to the tunnel

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Pale rider / boldon lad
Curiously why is this cycle route NC1 also have the abbreviation of EV12
As the OP made me aware of it
It can only go to confuse people from outside this area as I for one have never known it called that
Parts of the NC1 even have this painted into the tarmac ...maybe confusing others ?

Maybe you can put me right ??

Road numbers (In Europe) have E numbers too. It is a Europe wide numbering system. Little used in UK, but, more widely used in mainland Europe. The EV numbers are a similar principle, a common numbering system across the whole of Europe. Not sure if this is an EU initiative, or, some other body.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N
The A1018 parallel to Ryhope Road at the point you would join it (Toll Bar) is not for cycling.
I don't say that lightly, but it's a new, fast urban route with graded junctions and no cycling infrastructure, apart from riding on the tiny margin to the left of the white line. ✖ Misunderstanding I meant in the housing between Ryhope Rd and A1018
As you've spotted, the B1287 Ryhope Road does become the B1522 closer to Sunderland city centre.✔
Being an urban route, it tends to be referred to by name rather than number, so it becomes Stockton Road at that point.✔

A little local colour - there's a small parade of shops on the right hand side, one of which used to be a chemist run by the adoptive parents of BBC war correspondent Kate Adie. She lived above the shop with them, and was schooled locally.
Some wry comment from the locals that she didn't acquire the cut glass BBC accent living on that patch.
But upbringing perhaps gave her the cohones to be a war correspondent...

Back to routes, the simplest is to follow Sunderland's little ring road St Mary's Way to Wearmouth Bridge.✔
After the second roundabout you need to be on the cyclepath anyway to get yourself over the bridge. ✔
You can cycle on the main bridge deck, but no one does because there are decent paths each side. ✔ Indeedy
You will naturally cross on the 'wrong' inland side, so you will need to stop at the end of the bridge and cross the road (pedestrian lights and central refuge) to reach the path to take you up the coast towards Shields. ✔

Pedestrian/cycle tunnel.
I was afraid you'd want to do that because it involves an entirely different route.
Using Lizard Lane and hacking west through the likes of Harton and Westoe makes no sense to me. ✔
Lizard Lane is hilly, and you really need to be tracking north west a lot earlier. ✔ eek don't like hills

Decision time for me would be at the Ryhope Road roundabout in Grangetown, just south of Sunderland.✔ OK
Straight on for Ryhope Road if you are aiming for the ferry, but take the previous exit - Queen Alexandra Road - if you are headed for the tunnel.

Your first waypoint is Sunderland's new bridge over Wear, marked as the A1231 on the map.
Queen Alexandra Road leads naturally into the likes of Barnes Park Road, Ormonde Street, past Sunderland Royal Hospital, through Pallion, then join the A1231 a little shy of the bridge.
Cross on the cycle track on the left side, because at the end of the bridge you need to turn back on yourself to drop down to Timber Beach Road - Wessington Way is not suitable for cycling.
At the first roundabout on Timber Beach, turn right to cross Wessington Way, either by a busy roundabout, or the ped/cycle bridge which has spiral walkways on both ends.
Head west through Castletown until you reach Ferryboat Lane, parallel to the A19.
Turn right (north), and at the top of Ferryboat Lane there is a cycle bridge over the A19, past the North East Air Museum on the right with the Nissan factory to the left.
You now need Follingsby Lane which takes to the graded junction with the A194(M), straight on, then look out for the right turn entrance to the Monckton Cycleway - more flat gravel - which more or less spits you out at the tunnel entrance. ✔ All plotted
The cycleway turning is easy to miss. ✔ Noted

Phew, hopefully you will be able to follow the above with the aid of maps. ✔ Wasn't too bad

Using the tunnel may make sense because my carefully honed Thorpe Thewles/ferry route may bring you up short on mileage, designed as it is to be good cycling and direct. ✔ Not too far off, I can ride in circles somewhere if required.

Bear in mind the tunnel itself is still not finished, so you will have to use the small lift, or bump the bike down and up a lot of stairs.
It's not unknown for one of the lifts to be out of action, so if you are unlucky, you may have to use the stairs one side or the other.
The lift is also small, really only designed for spare/wheelchair use, so there can be a short queue.
My admittedly lumpy ebike only just fits in on the diagonal.
Once on the other side, you will probably be routed to Royal Quays, then past the ferry landing towards Tynemouth.
Which neatly illustrates how the tunnel is the long way around. All noted

Eek not the A1018 that looks hideous! No it was behind Kate Adie's in the estate to run parallel between Ryhope Rd and A1018 (Corporation Rd, Suffolk Rd ish) to approach bridge a bit straighter, not that I've looked in Streetview yet, debris on back roads is sometimes an issue and the 'mainer' Ryhope Rd is probably a much better bet.
Routing from Ryhope using Ryhope Rd then across bridge and around coast to Ferry is 15.6miles 140metres climb, and continuing on EV14 to tunnel makes it 21miles 190metres, the northwest passage up past Nissan is 20.5miles and 160metres, the latest suggestion Grotto - Cleadon Park looks to be 20.4mile and 190metres, the figures are from cycle.travel sorry about the mixed units.

So not a great deal of difference really, at 5miles and 50m (at the end of a ride it would matter!)
I guess the tunnel itself might add something extra but CT is so clever it might not!!

I do fancy the tunnels and understand I might struggle in a lift, or perhaps even have to shoulder the bike.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Eek not the A1018 that looks hideous! No it was behind Kate Adie's in the estate to run parallel between Ryhope Rd and A1018 (Corporation Rd, Suffolk Rd ish) to approach bridge a bit straighter, not that I've looked in Streetview yet, debris on back roads is sometimes an issue and the 'mainer' Ryhope Rd is probably a much better bet.
Routing from Ryhope using Ryhope Rd then across bridge and around coast to Ferry is 15.6miles 140metres climb, and continuing on EV14 to tunnel makes it 21miles 190metres, the northwest passage up past Nissan is 20.5miles and 160metres, the latest suggestion Grotto - Cleadon Park looks to be 20.4mile and 190metres, the figures are from cycle.travel sorry about the mixed units.

So not a great deal of difference really, at 5miles and 50m (at the end of a ride it would matter!)
I guess the tunnel itself might add something extra but CT is so clever it might not!!

I do fancy the tunnels and understand I might struggle in a lift, or perhaps even have to shoulder the bike.

Video of Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel here skip to 9 minutes 30seconds for tunnel ;) It was a day when lifts working. Signs saying one person at a time due to Covid, we had two (myself and wife) ;)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

A mate of mine likes the Corporation Road route through Hendon, and it's certainly (another) valid alternative.

I'm no roadie, but I'm also not keen on too many stops and starts.

That route involves going through some blocked to vehicle turnings, meaning dismounts for kerbs and one with a couple of steps.

All doable, but I found it frustrating when I knew I could tootle up Ryhope Road with hardly a stop, given some luck with the couple of traffic lights.

Interesting you've found the three routes to be so close in elevation and distance.

I'm always going to like 'my' routes, but the others are just as good, particularly heading for the ferry then through Tyne Dock to the tunnel.

There's decent cycle paths for the last section, and it's probably simpler and easier than the northwest passage for a first timer.

Using the tunnel will mean another few miles on the other side to get to Tynemouth, and you will pass close to the ferry landing.

It's counter intuitive to me to pass the ferry on one side, do best part of 10 miles, only to pass the ferry on the other side.

Although as I said, taking my direct route might land you at your destination at 90-something miles, so you might be glad of the extra from using the tunnel, assuming hitting 100 is important.

If you use the tunnel, you could track north a bit earlier by using the wagonways - more smooth gravel - through the likes of Silverlink, Shiremoor, passing dangerously near Percy Main/Meadow Well - scene of some riots in the 90s.

You would be aiming for Earsdon, then pick up the B1325 out to the coast at Seaton Sluice, from where you are back on NCN 1 for Blyth (@annedonnelly country) and points north.

The wagonway is NCN 10, so you should be able to find it on the map.

It runs beside a working goods railway for part of its length, so you might be able to race a train.

One thing against this route is the wagonway was gravity fed and the tiny gradient is against you, so you would have several miles of what I believe the roadies call 'false flat'.

It makes for a glorious ride in the other direction, but can feel hard work going the other way because you can never quite build up momentum.

If I'm doing a loop in enemy territory, I tend to go up the coast and down the wagonway.

Refreshment opportunities are few and far between on the wagonways, but you will pass a couple of convenience stores at the road crossings.

Look out for an old triple or possibly four seat tandem which is nailed to a gable end.

Plenty of behind a bush peeing opportunities on this route.

Standard security advice applies throughout this section of the ride.

A mate of mine had his bike nicked in 40 seconds outside a shop in Whitburn - it was timed on the shop's outside CCTV.

Another mate had his bike nicked in about a minute while having a pee in the toilets at the Fish Quay.

I'm sure your bike will be fine provided it's locked, even with a relatively light one.

Blyth is worth a mention for scran, several opportunities at South Beach, including a large Italian family run chip shop/cafe/ice cream parlour - simple food, but good.

There's usually an outside catering trailer as well, which is acceptable, and a small hot dog/ice cream stall closer to the seafront - next to the entrance to the public toilets.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
@Pale Rider is the expert on the grub selections in Blyth, but if you want any local advice on the route feel free to give me a shout. E.g. as an experienced rider you might want to stick to the road from Seaton Sluice to Blyth rather than use the NCN1 path through the dunes which gets busy with walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc.

OP
OP
N
OK I'm good on the route to Ryhope, then use Ryhope Rd/Stockton Rd, do I jump off for Burnden Rd through Mowbray Park, or just carry on around the Saint (Michael and Mary) Ringroad? Do I drop round harbour or pop up to harbour view, any views IYSWIM. I'm glad you mentioned pitstops (noted), anywhere of mention around Wearmouth of merit that my wife and dog could meet me, that's about half way give or take a tunnel ;).

Pedro_orange

Just go straight down and along Fawcett st through town to the bridge. Plenty of stuff down by the harbour. I prefer the riverside rather than the top route.

OP
OP
N
@Pale Rider is the expert on the grub selections in Blyth, but if you want any local advice on the route feel free to give me a shout. E.g. as an experienced rider you might want to stick to the road from Seaton Sluice to Blyth rather than use the NCN1 path through the dunes which gets busy with walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc.
I've ridden NCN1 from Tynemouth to Edinburgh and have an idea of quicker bits, so plan is to run on road from Tynemouth (around skatepark really) and stay on it to go left around caravan park, and on through Old Hartley to Blyth, dropping towards water at Army reserve place to run through centre of Industrial Park to pick up coast route under the bridge. UNLESS the bridge is worth a ride for views? Won't follow NCN1 back to coast once across water, instead go past the cement works. Staying with NCN from there all the way including Druridge slow bit to get to Creswell Drift Cafe (last bail out option) and for rest of route - though not at Boulmer as that is very slow, so a diversion there into Long Houghton.

OP
OP
N
Any favourite pit stops on route? I'm probably taking a pack up for ~25m (say Shotton to Murton) so any cafe's of merit that are reasonably bike safe, then I'm meeting wife and dog around halfway mark at Tynemouth so any good places there, then we'll also meet at Creswell Drift Cafe, but I'm not averse to quick extra stops if anything merits a visit 🍰🍰.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
OK I'm good on the route to Ryhope, then use Ryhope Rd/Stockton Rd, do I jump off for Burnden Rd through Mowbray Park, or just carry on around the Saint (Michael and Mary) Ringroad? Do I drop round harbour or pop up to harbour view, any views IYSWIM. I'm glad you mentioned pitstops (noted), anywhere of mention around Wearmouth of merit that my wife and dog could meet me, that's about half way give or take a tunnel ;).

Personally, I would "jump off" for Toward Road, on other site of Mowbray Park. Go straight ahead, crossing Borough Road, and West Sunniside. Turn left onto St Thomas Street, then first right into Frederick Road, then at High St West, turn left, then, right into Bedford Street. At end of Bedford Street, there is an underpass, which will take you under main (and busy) A1018, to put you on a Cycle Track/shared Path over Wearmouth Bridge. Not the most scenic route through Sunderland, but, it is more simple than it sounds to explain.

Once over the Bridge, turn right, there is a shared path at this level, or, if you want the scenic route, drop down to the riverside and past the Sunderland Glass Centre to bring you to the mouth of the River Wear and Roker/Seaburn.

As for a meeting place with your wife, personally, I would opt for Whitburn, a little further north along the coast from Seaburn. There is a Junction, with traffic lights (A183/B1299), there is a pub (Jolly Sailor) and a Cafe (popular with cyclists and dog walkers) on opposite corner.

After this, it really depend if you are heading for South Shields Ferry or Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel (Jarrow). For South Shields, you just continue along the coast, more or less north, following A183. For Tunnel, there are several options, some already mentioned, but, from Whitburn, I would follow B1299, to Cleadon, then, cross A1018, at offset cross road, and follow Moor Lane to East Boldon, then, at another offset cross roads, ahead to Tile Sheds Lane. Tile Sheds Lane becomes New Road, to Boldon Colliery, after large ASDA Store, turn right onto Abingdon Way (cycle route alongside), to traffic Lights, turn left into Hedworth lane, at large roundabout, under flyover (Prince of Wales pub on your right) go ahead onto York Avenue (B1516). Keep going ahead, until B1297, then turn right, at roundabout, turn left, follow to mini roundabout, Pedestrian Tunnel is on your left. There is a cycle route from part way along York Avenue, past Monkton Stadium (it is on the video I posted earlier), but, unless you know it is there, it is not easy to find, signposting is minimal.

OP
OP
N
Personally, I would "jump off" for Toward Road, on other site of Mowbray Park. Go straight ahead, crossing Borough Road, and West Sunniside. Turn left onto St Thomas Street, then first right into Frederick Road, then at High St West, turn left, then, right into Bedford Street. At end of Bedford Street, there is an underpass, which will take you under main (and busy) A1018, to put you on a Cycle Track/shared Path over Wearmouth Bridge. Not the most scenic route through Sunderland, but, it is more simple than it sounds to explain.

Once over the Bridge, turn right, there is a shared path at this level, or, if you want the scenic route, drop down to the riverside and past the Sunderland Glass Centre to bring you to the mouth of the River Wear and Roker/Seaburn.

As for a meeting place with your wife, personally, I would opt for Whitburn, a little further north along the coast from Seaburn. There is a Junction, with traffic lights (A183/B1299), there is a pub (Jolly Sailor) and a Cafe (popular with cyclists and dog walkers) on opposite corner.

After this, it really depend if you are heading for South Shields Ferry or Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel (Jarrow). For South Shields, you just continue along the coast, more or less north, following A183. For Tunnel, there are several options, some already mentioned, but, from Whitburn, I would follow B1299, to Cleadon, then, cross A1018, at offset cross road, and follow Moor Lane to East Boldon, then, at another offset cross roads, ahead to Tile Sheds Lane. Tile Sheds Lane becomes New Road, to Boldon Colliery, after large ASDA Store, turn right onto Abingdon Way (cycle route alongside), to traffic Lights, turn left into Hedworth lane, at large roundabout, under flyover (Prince of Wales pub on your right) go ahead onto York Avenue (B1516). Keep going ahead, until B1297, then turn right, at roundabout, turn left, follow to mini roundabout, Pedestrian Tunnel is on your left. There is a cycle route from part way along York Avenue, past Monkton Stadium (it is on the video I posted earlier), but, unless you know it is there, it is not easy to find, signposting is minimal.

OK I'll look at that route through town. Will take scenic harbour loop.

Ideally I want to meet my support team at about half way but the Whitburn cafe is on my list for a possible solo stop!

I think I'll go with the existing route to the ferry and overshoot if I want, and as it's only a mile and 10m elevation in it, neither route has any great advantage. Thanks for the options though.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We need to be careful about terminology here.

The Port of Sunderland is a large closed area around Hendon, not really on your route.

The 'harbour' is at Roker on t'other side of the estuary and is now called a marina.

There's cafe at the National Glass Centre, which you will pass whether you take the high road or the riverside sculpture trail.

Sheffield bike stands opposite the trailside entrance to the Glass Centre, and there's also one of those little bike maintenance stands with some tools on cables.

Interesting building because you can walk on its glass roof - if it's not cordoned off.

As you enter the car park from the road, either by car or bike, the roof slopes gently upwards and away from you.

In other words, the roof of the fairly tall building is at ground/car park level.

This shows most of the north east coast is quite high - the Wearmouth Bridge is at the level of the town, but is some height above the Wear.

Seaburn, which you come to next, is an exception being roughly at sea level.

Matters are restored to normal by the time you reach Marsden - the Grotto pub, mentioned earlier, has a lift or a long flight of stairs to get down to it.

This high coast explains why you rarely hear of flooding stories from this section of the coast, apart from the handful of buildings at sea level.

It also explains why you will encounter several gradual descents and ascents as you drop down to sea level then swiftly climb back up again.

A short, sharp, ascent after the marina to get back up to the coast road, then another longer descent back down to the coast at Seaburn, followed by a more gradual ascent up to Whitburn.

But look on the bright side, at least the Victorians built a bridge over Roker Ravine, which was key to the development of the area because before the bridge the ravine was an unbreachable barrier to the general expansion of Sunderland.

If you pause at the Glass Centre, I doubt you will want to stop at Whitburn because it's only a couple of miles further on.

I would trundle on to Tynemouth, but there's always Minchella's on the sea front at Shields, which you will pass if you take the simplest route to the ferry - around the coast rather than hacking through the town.

There's a large cafe directly opposite Tynemouth Priory, unmissable with its seating area outside.

Tynemouth is quite posh (for the north east) so it's one of the few places you will see well dressed 'ladies who lunch' and a few Range Rovers and the like in the central parking area outside.

You will pass a couple of pavement cafes and a catering trailer just shy of Whitley Bay in Cullercoats.

Spanish City, the amusements at Whitley Bay and scene of many a drunken Bank Holiday mass punch up have been redeveloped, so that's another posh cafe dining opportunity.

Last time I was in, they had a string quartet playing for lunch customers.

Not really ideal for a smelly bicycle tourist, and inevitably rather expensive.

You could take a short diversion towards St Mary's Island where there is a catering trailer in the car park.

Grubby plastic chairs outside and tea in a polystyrene cup - much more budget friendly.

Probably worth staying on NCN 1 for this stretch because the straight A road into Seaton Sluice is only single carriageway and quite fast for cars, although you will be gently climbing.

If you stop at Tynemouth - handy Spar shop in the High Street as well - you probably won't want to stop again before Blyth.

I'm less certain of stops after Blyth, but they do thin out as you enter rural/formerly industrial Northumberland.

There's a well known ice cream parlour just as you enter Cresswell, and a fuller service cafe just outside it.

After that, unless you seek out a convenience store in one of the settlements, there's not a great deal before Amble.

Glorious cycling though, not least because it is fairly isolated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom