NCN73 - Dubbs Rd, Stevenston/Kilwinning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I was on NCN 73 today, on the stretch between Stevenson and Kilwinning - locally known as “Dubbs Rd”.

This is a narrow country road, part of the National Cycle Network, and also one of the less-attractive parts of the Ayrshire Coastal Path (even though it’s several miles form the coast - it skirts an industrial brownfield site which once was an explosives factory). It’s part of the “Core Paths Network”, and there’s an advisory speed limit for cars of 30mph. There’s a small caravan park at one end, a riding school (so frequently horses on the road) and several farms.

It’s also a bit of a “rat run” between the two towns at peak hours, avoiding the dual carriageway and roundabouts.

There are signs at each end from the local council saying that they’re proposing to close the road to motorised vehicles. Its not entirely clear from the notice - you need to go to the local library to inspect the plans - but it appears that they’re banning cars from a 14m section of the road somewhere in the middle - I’m guessing at the railway bridge. This effectively makes the road “access only” for cars, but unrestricted for bikes and walkers.

Slick

Guru
I suppose it can only be a good thing.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
It’s probably a good thing from our perspective. I guess the people that use the stables/riding school and the farms may be less happy.

One concern I have is that that road is notoriously bad for fly tipping. Removing any “through traffic” may make it worse?

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Over 2 years ago, they obtained a traffic order to close the road to cars.

And just over 2 years later....

IMG_3106.JPG

It’s a good thing. It’s normally a quiet road, but at rush hour it’s a rat-run.

So that’s another section of the National Cycle Route that becomes largely traffic-free.

(I’m told that while the official reason for the 2 year delay was in getting the necessary agreements to build a turning head at the other side of the railway bridge, the real stumbling block was that the local council and Sustrans couldn’t agree on a design for the barriers)

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
According to the local paper, the first barrier has been demolished by “an irate driver”, a few days after it went up. The incident was caught on camera by a cyclist, and the police are involved.

Sigh.

Top Bottom