NCN78 - Caledonia Way - Route advice re quality of Off-road parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kmax68

Regular
Hi,

I'm planning cycling part of NCN78 towards the end of May from north to south. Any advice would be appreciated regarding the surface quality of the canal side paths - I'd read a while ago that much of the off-road parts were poor quality and that adjacent B and unclassified roads would be a better choice. The areas of interest are between Fort Augustus and Fort William and the Crinan Canal.

I'll be riding a cyclocross bike with panniers.

Thanks

Slick

Guru
The Crinan canal has always been okay for a bike. Apparently it has been improved over the passed couple of years, so you shouldn't have any trouble there. South of Fort William is a PITA in my opinion, I took to the road for most of it apart from the short stretch at Onich. I'll leave the rest to others as I've never done Fort Augustus

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I second the suitability of the Crinian canal, did a good stretch of it a couple of years back.
The surface is very fine white gravel, was fine on a Genesis with Marathon Originals plus two loaded panniers.

HelenD123

Guru
Fort Augustus to invergarry is fine. South of Invergarry looked passable only with a mountain bike last time I was up there. It looked very muddy.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The Caledonian canal i(Fort Bill to Fort Augustus)is a good run,
a good mix of canalside, back road and forestry track..
The forestry track part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, definitely suitable for a hybrid..
I did it in the hissing rain last Sept and bike was caked in the white stuff,
I did the Caledonia Way Fort Augustus to Inverness final stage the next day....
I met friends who'd come over the Great Glen w
Way and advised I'd be better avoiding.
Mind you, a cracker of a hill out from Fort Augustus:ohmy:
PM if need any more info..

canal-path-near-fw.jpg
leaving-the-forest-behind.jpg
forext-track-loch-name.jpg
fort-william-to-fort-augustus.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom