Near Miss East London (Stratford)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

Over the years cycling i have learned to be careful and be vigilant while cycling however you cant fool proof everything,
Today i was cycling from ilford to st paul station when i reached stratford i was going straight suddenly one car pulled out from the que which was waiting to turn on right (in very high speed Like he was driving on a race track), he did not gave any indication, luckily he stopped the car inches away from me, this gave me fright of my life, it happened around 1800hrs but still i am dealing with the trauma, the driver had no remorse he just raved away.

East london always had careless drivers as we have no law and order and policing resources are too busy in this part of the world. sadly we cyclist risk our lives everyday on the road. from ilford to bow road its a road to death specially A118 Romford Road.

I was wearing high visible cloths i had rear lights and front lights i cant think of anything to make me more visible. probability get my self a loud speaker, so people know i am there or wear an Armour.

are we ever going to feel safe on these roads and will this govt going to make separate routes for cyclists? not enough is being done

if a cyclist dies they put community support officers for few days on the road or give fines to some cyclists but they dont do anything to the drivers.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Glad you're ok. Sounds scary.

Frustrated driver, probably has very little power in his own life, uses the motor car as a time-saving device and takes his frustrations out on the vulnerable. Glad you're ok. Keep reminding yourself you're not him.

outlash

also available in orange
Nice to see some things haven't changed round there. If you don't feel confident riding down the Romford Road, why don't you take the side streets? Cut along the flats, across Woodgrange Road into Forest Lane and into Stratford via Maryland point? Through the Olympic Park, Hackney and into the City that way. One of the joys of cycling is you aren't stuck to the same routes as cars.

Tony.

subaqua and a few others do the Col du Bow every day. Each to their own, I wouldn't go near it, it scares the bejeebus out of me.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Or ride north, Ruckholt Road then the park is much, much calmer.
that is bit far from my route but thanks for the idea i will explore more at the moment i juts take Romford road straight from ilford all the way to stratford

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Nice to see some things haven't changed round there. If you don't feel confident riding down the Romford Road, why don't you take the side streets? Cut along the flats, across Woodgrange Road into Forest Lane and into Stratford via Maryland point? Through the Olympic Park, Hackney and into the City that way. One of the joys of cycling is you aren't stuck to the same routes as cars.

Tony.

Thanks Tony,
could you help me with the route on Map sorry i am very bad at directions

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

On my tablet right now, and I'm not good at drawing maps without a mouse. Have a look at google maps.

Tony.
This is what i came up with, it increases my journey time with 10-15 minutes but avoids most of busy spots (I think)

Attachments

• route plan.jpg
    route plan.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 24

outlash

also available in orange
Without being able to look at that in detail, that looks about right :smile:. Try it and you may want to modify a couple of sections but it's got to be better than riding down the Romford Road.

Tony.

Top Bottom