Near Miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I came the closest I've ever been to a crash today.

Travelling at some speed down this country lane (Streetview link below), a car appeared from the road on the right and instead of waiting at the stop line, proceeded to drive slowly right across the junction.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sco...oid=lN_86lP56zuGjkzsfh9uBA&cbp=12,174.01,,0,0

I had to turn into the road on the left with him, whilst skidding, to avoid a collision.

It was just so flaming stupid and dangerous, and yes, it made me wish I had a camera. It's the only time I've ever wanted to report a driver to the police.

It was either an act of malice, or an act of gross incompetence. Either way, he shouldn't be anywhere near the public highway.

I gave him a few choice words, but he just carried on his merry way with no acknowledgement of having almost injured me.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Seems if theres no collisionpeople think theres nothing to worry about.

How fast were you going, I think Id have been tempted to race down that road like a lunatic :whistle:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Seems if theres no collisionpeople think theres nothing to worry about.

How fast were you going, I think Id have been tempted to race down that road like a lunatic :whistle:

I was probably going at about 25mph. I'm glad I wasn't going quicker or I might not have been able to stop!

400bhp

Guru
Do you move out towards the middle of the road when approaching a side road and there's a car waiting?

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Maybe you should slow down approaching junctions in future, anticipating this risk.

I did, which is why I managed to gather it up instead of slamming into the side of his car.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Do you move out towards the middle of the road when approaching a side road and there's a car waiting?

Not as a rule, no. Do you think it would've helped? Bear in mind, he wasn't making a right turn, he was going straight over.

400bhp

Guru
Not as a rule, no. Do you think it would've helped? Bear in mind, he wasn't making a right turn, he was going straight over.

I can't say wether it would help in that particular circumstance. Moving out will help to mitigate the risk of drivers pulling out yes.

If you imagine a persons sight line going out in a cone shape from their eyes, then you want to be as close to the middle of that as possible. Generally, the closer to the edge of the road of you are the more you are in their peripheral vision.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I can't say wether it would help in that particular circumstance. Moving out will help to mitigate the risk of drivers pulling out yes.

If you imagine a persons sight line going out in a cone shape from their eyes, then you want to be as close to the middle of that as possible. Generally, the closer to the edge of the road of you are the more you are in their peripheral vision.

I'll bear that in mind, cheers. I think he saw me though. I think it was either a case of misjudging my speed or a classic SMIDGAF.

I've found it catches the eye of folk and but it also gives me more time to react, so it probably would have helped. I've had two near ones with muppets pulling out that fortunately I've had that get out room. Just last week on BB Dual carriageway, a muppet pulled out of the side road right as I was passing being in the middle of the lane gave me more time to take evasive action. Take Care HP :-)

Some quick thinking and good control from you was what saved you

Bit of a close call and spoils such a good ride, that's a great run own from Rothbury and I've seen a few roadies - especially club rides up there - doing some fair speeds down that road.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If I don't have a car behind me I'll often move to the right hand side of the lane, past centre. If I do have a car behind me then I generally stop where I am, if they've seen the car hopefully they wont pull out even if they haven't seen me, depends how close the car is behind of course, and how fast I'm going, and the time of day, and the weather etc etc

Top Bottom