Near Miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Get an Airzound. Problem solved.

Might have helped, but not definitely. And I needed both hands for the brakes!

I've had a few of these Hip priest and i think it comes from the driver thinking that the cyclist can't be going that fast so pulls out. I've seen drivers look at me then make a decision to pull out then look again and think better of it as i am going faster than they originally thought.
The worst one i had was when a driver was pulling out of a junction (a car boot sale on a Sunday morning) and he saw me yet still pulled out. I had anticipated this so sat up (doing about 25mph) and put my hands over the brake hoods. What i didn't anticipate was the idiot then swinging back in to the junction and performing a U turn right in front of me!! I nearly hit the passenger side but managed to brake in time (thank you good brakes and dry weather!!).
The passenger actually gave me an apologetic wave as the driver performed the manoeuvre. Don't think they realised how close i was to joining them in the passenger seat. :eek:

Glad you were okay on this one. For me it's now a case of hands on the hoods, and over the brakes, any time i am at a junction. Especially cautious with a lurker nosing out of the junction.

There's a particular hill back home outside the QMHospital, its about 6% average, bizarrely I can't recall ever being cut up going up it but I have loads of times freewheeling down. Whether its related or not the hospital is on the left (right going downhill) so visibility to me is better going down, and folk have more time to judge my speed and pull out anyway!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Airzound's are for clowns!

Do you move out towards the middle of the road when approaching a side road and there's a car waiting?

Moving out is a good idea, I always move out when crossing a junction these days. Gain's more positive responses than negative and IME leads to less incident's or misunderstandings.

Crankarm

Guru
Airzound's are for clowns!

Moving out is a good idea, I always move out when crossing a junction these days. Gain's more positive responses than negative and IME leads to less incident's or misunderstandings.

Alive clowns. Better to be a clown than a dead fool.

Top Bottom