1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly crashed my car yesterday.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by mickle, 16 May 2008.

1. Seven thirty last night driving from Monmouth to Chepstow via Trelick, nice evening, clear open road, having a great time when I encountered a sheep with two baalambs in the middle of the road. I stopped in plenty of time and carried on once they'd moved out of the way but once I was back up to speed I saw a 4X4 hurtling along in the opposite direction. I knew that the sheep were on his side of the road on a blind bend so reached for my hazard lights button (on top of the steering column) to alert him and, with one hand on the wheel, my front wheel hit a pothole and chucked the car over to the right two feet over the dividing line. I got it straightened up in time but it was as close as I've ever come to death. eek.

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Lamb shank all round was it?

3. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Report that pothole for dangerous driving ;)

4. The 4X4 was wearing roo bars btw.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Mushy Mickle for tea then ? Eeek !!

6. galaxy1

galaxy1 Well-Known Member

Glad you're still with us .Did your stomach jump out of your mouth?

7. Twenty year old VW Corrado versus TOYOTA LANDCRUISER wearing roobars with a closing speed of 120mph.

I fear it might have been all of my internal organs. ;)

8. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Nice car Mickle. I had a mint one and had to sell it when the family expanded and I've regretted it ever since.

9. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Mickle if you apply 2 hands on your handlebars how about 2 hands on the steering wheel ;)

1 A4 page of:

I must keep my hands on the steering wheel !

Then go and stand outside the Admins office ! :biggrin:

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I think it would more likely have been the other end! ;)

Glad you made it OK, mickle!
    How many 'lives' have you got left?

11. LLB

LLB Guest

How do you know he was only doing 40mph ?

12. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Maybe a headlamp flash would have been easier?

The hazard switch on my useless car is hidden behind the steering wheel somewhere. I can never find it in haste. My Toyota van's is placed exactly right for when you need it quickly as are all its other switches.

13. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Glad you are still with us.
    Yes, headlamp flashes would have been easier and probably attracted more attention.

I use a road with sheep on quite frequently and a few months ago I slowed to a stop to let a sheep finish crossing. There was a line of traffic approching in the distance that the sheep was going to be in front of so I flashed my lights several times to make sure the cars ahead saw me (and the sheep). They didn't slow down and the leading car had to do an emergency stop, almost causing a pile up as the old codger driving didn't see the sheep until the last moment. He then chuckled and shrugged his shoulders at me as if to say 'Sheep just appear out of nowhere!'.
    Stupid blind git!

14. Wot you doing in my Manor?:eek:

15. Just riding through compadre, just riding through, I don't want no trouble.