Nearly taken out by a HGV!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
briank said:
OK, here's a dissenting voice.(No idea how many S's there are in that.)
Down the A6 at 7.30 am that kind of overtake isn't so rare.
Just hold a line 3 ft out from the kerb/gutter/verge and you've got enough room to let him bye.
We've all got as job to do: precious don't help.

A: That's not the A6
B: It's not 7.30.
c: wHAT?????

I'll get a better screenshot of the plates tomorrow.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
tdr1nka said:
I've just had a look at the pic in Photoshop.

IMO I don't think you can read the top of the plate because of the brake light.
The lower 3 figures look like, EEV, EEY, EE7 or ££/.

:blush:

Here are some full size stills I've just taken from VirtualDUB.

http://mrtinybrain.com/close_encounters_of_the_lorry_kind.png

EEV is what I worked out from the last line too...I'm not sure if the start is 7sg 7s6 fs6 or something??

albal

Guru
T**t

Thomas,
I do feel you were very lucky. As a (lorry) driver myself, I feel ashamed at this hideious behaviour. Cant tel the reg from your frames but hey ; a 6 wheel 4 series Scania(dont think it was a 'Topline') white in colour, pulling a bag of s**t trailer red tri axle.
A very good chance will be on similar route again.
Get well soon
Good luck

J4CKO

I have had similar, right hand bend, trailer swinging over sending me onto the verge, I am sure they go past going "I wonder if I am running over that cyclist", cyclist shoul dhave a go in an HGV to see what they see and HGV drivers should be made to ride a bike and have a HGV do a close overtake, I just pulled over the other day on a narrow road when I saw one in my mirror, he would have struggled to get past safely and didnt look like he was going to slow down. Remember, you can be in the right and still be a greasy stain on the road.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
albal said:
Thomas,
A very good chance will be on similar route again.
Get well soon
Good luck

About 5 miles further up there is a place where a lot of lorries go. I'm not sure if it's a dump or something like that, but I'm pretty sure the lorry would have been going there.

I'm going to cycle along there again on monday. If I see the driver again I'll give him a quick thump round the head :biggrin:. I could go a different way, but it would be a long way out of the way (another 5 or more miles - which is a lot of a 15mile, hilly, commute). I'll just stick further into the road next time :ohmy:

The road is terrible for lorries like that. When you drive down there you constantly get lorries which cannot fit. They should just ban them from the road.

briank said:
OK, here's a dissenting voice.(No idea how many S's there are in that.)
Down the A6 at 7.30 am that kind of overtake isn't so rare.
Just hold a line 3 ft out from the kerb/gutter/verge and you've got enough room to let him bye.
We've all got as job to do: precious don't help.

Bizarre: In this case 3ft from the kerb = dead

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Rhythm Thief said:
Er ... I'm all sympathy for your close overtake, but the two statements I've put in bold would appear to be contradictory.

It's not the only route there. There are other routes which would be wider for the lorries.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
User3143 said:
A road is a road if there are no weights limits in place then we are allowed down them.

That's great. I never said you weren't allowed down it, just that they cannot fit down the road without causing chaos.

Top Bottom