Nearly taken out by a HGV!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Virtual toilet paper on its way to you. That is without doubt one of the closest overtakes I have seen where the rider has stayed upright.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get the plates off that resolution image though. Any chance of identifying the company?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
HOLY ****ING shoot!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Bollo said:
Virtual toilet paper on its way to you. That is without doubt one of the closest overtakes I have seen where the rider has stayed upright.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get the plates off that resolution image though. Any chance of identifying the company?

No company name on the side. It was just big and red. Not even written in small on the side, I checked at the end of the road (and probably yelled something to the camera - I didn't have audio at work to check if I said anything else).

As for the resolution, it was compressed both by me and then again by youtube so the original is better. I have no hope that I will get anything off the footage though but I will try.

I notice right at the end the small white van only just makes it back to your side of the road before meeting the oncoming car!:biggrin:

He gave me some room though which is the main thing :wacko:

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
What a stupid prat - don't they realise that as a cyclist you haven't got any airbags or side impact bars!? Easily could have killed you :smile:

As an aside though - I have to say I love the commentary!:biggrin:

...... isn't it a shame those horns don't sound more aggressive too - sounds like a clown's car in the video! I used to have a bell on my old bike and when I used to ring the bell at somebody I sounded like a 2 year old out on her barbie bike - rather than angry woman repremanding somebody for bad driving!!!!! :tongue:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
I've attached an image of what I've got from the camera...anyone make out the numberplate :tongue:?

edit: I'll upload the full version in my lunch break to another server as it's been resized here :smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This is a long shot, but putting on my now ex-image processing and reconstruction hat, it might be possible to remove a lot of the motion blur using some form of deconvolution using an FFT. The dots of light give a good idea of what the point spread function might look like. Even then, the image noise might make the whole thing unreadable.

If anyone on here has Matlab or a similar package, they might be able to have a play, but its a tough one.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Wot he said... I think.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Bollo said:
This is a long shot, but putting on my now ex-image processing and reconstruction hat, it might be possible to remove a lot of the motion blur using some form of deconvolution using an FFT. The dots of light give a good idea of what the point spread function might look like. Even then, the image noise might make the whole thing unreadable.

If anyone on here has Matlab or a similar package, they might be able to have a play, but its a tough one.

I'll upload a better res. copy later and I will have a go trying to work it out when I get home!

Cheers :smile:

As an aside though - I have to say I love the commentary!:tongue:

Haha thanks. When I uploaded the footage I didn't have any speakers so I just cut it at a point I thought I'd of stopped swearing...I seem to remember having another rant half way down the road but I'll have to check when I get the footage home tonight. The whole journey had a few other things but I'll post them later (none as serious, but still some other slightly too close overtakes).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bollo said:

So much for that theory :becool:. I had a go at this and a few other things like edge enhancers an' ting but couldn't get anything out. I just don't think the information is in the image, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Overtakes like that deserve a kicking. Sorry mate.

If you've got a higher res image, I could have a go with that....

(Techy bit - used vips image processing library to attempt a crude FFT deconvolution using a few motion blur PSFs, but the low-pass filter that's keeps the amplified noise down added as much blur as the deconvolution took away. Haven't looked at optimised filters (Weiner etc) but I think I'm peeing against the wind.)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've just had a look at the pic in Photoshop.

IMO I don't think you can read the top of the plate because of the brake light.
The lower 3 figures look like, EEV, EEY, EE7 or ££/.

:becool:

:becool:

That was one seriously bad overtake! It's a real shame that you can't get the reg from that. That is part of the reason why I've always wanted the best camera I could afford, for that one occasion where you really need the reg...

briank

OK, here's a dissenting voice.(No idea how many S's there are in that.)
Down the A6 at 7.30 am that kind of overtake isn't so rare.
Just hold a line 3 ft out from the kerb/gutter/verge and you've got enough room to let him bye.
We've all got as job to do: precious don't help.

Top Bottom