nearly twatted a ped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

if you're the ped who was out for a leisurely stroll tonight and when passing an oncoming cyclist noticed another cyclist come tearing through the middle missing your right arm by about a millimetre and were scared, sorry it was me :?: :tongue:
it was one of those moments when I was ploughing along at probably about 20mph and there's a ped ahead, going the same direction as me, and another cyclist coming in the other direction. I thought that by the time i'm overtaking the ped, the other cyclist's going to be well past, and i'll be able to just overtake the ped in his wake. But right at the last minute, i notice the other cyclist's not going as fast as I thought and is going to be level with the ped at the time when i'm passing. Now at this point my thoughts are split - between "slam the anchors on - be on the safe side" and "sod it - you'd get a bus through there!", and i'm afraid the latter took precedence.
I did feel like I passed the ped quite close :biggrin: it did make me laugh a bit, shouldn't laugh really though. at least I didn't take her out.

Oh Bonj ... Tear@rsing about ... Like a MOTORIST ... DESIST ... NOW :?: (that white van is corrupting you) Night night :tongue:

Noodley

bonj][quote=Yorkshireman]Oh Bonj ... Tear@rsing about ... Like a MOTORIST ... DESIST ... NOW :?: (that white van is corrupting you) Night night :-P[/quote said:
(i was on my bike....)

you may well have been on a bike but you were THINKING like a WVM...

Globalti

Legendary Member
A few months ago I missed the opportunity to push a flasher into the canal. I was riding along and there was a young chap with his back to me, between the towpath and the water, with his pelvis struck forwards in an odd posture. Ahead of him I noticed a woman walking her dog suddenly do an about turn and head away. It wasn't until I'd passed the bloke that I realised he must have had his knob out - shame, as I could easily have overbalanced him straight into the water.

Mind you I'd probably then have got prosecuted for assault, reckless riding, bla bla bla, the lot.

Pete

Oh dear, Bonj, was this a psychle path (shared ped/bike), by any chance?

I can only say, you were lucky, so was the ped; so was the other cyclist: glad none of you got hurt.

Sorry to play the avuncular old git here, but to me, shared cycle/ped - if I have to use one in the first place - means walking pace only whenever there's a pedestrian in front. No buts. Pedestrians are not 'fair game' - everyone's been a ped. at some time in their life. 20mph with a pedestrian in your path is a no-no. You're welcome to open up at speed when you can see the path ahead of you to be clear.

But I'm glad you owned up to being slightly 'in the wrong', yourself. Thanks for that.

Rigid Raider said:
Mind you I'd probably then have got prosecuted for assault, reckless riding, bla bla bla, the lot.
Yes, yes and yes. But remember, the camera (or phone) can be a most potent weapon in such cases... :tongue:

Pete

domtyler said:
We all make misjudgements from time to time, give the lad a break.
Post crossed with mine. Point taken. :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
We all make misjudgements from time to time, give the lad a break.

He'd be the first to make a point against someone else... And his use of smilies suggests that he really isn't THAT sorry.

If a driver came on and said virtually the same, about driving on a narrow street and missing a cyclist by millimetres, while travelling at around 5 times their speed, would you give them a break as well?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:
A few months ago I missed the opportunity to push a flasher into the canal. I was riding along and there was a young chap with his back to me, between the towpath and the water, with his pelvis struck forwards in an odd posture. Ahead of him I noticed a woman walking her dog suddenly do an about turn and head away. It wasn't until I'd passed the bloke that I realised he must have had his knob out - shame, as I could easily have overbalanced him straight into the water.

You make the assumption that he was a flasher, but he could have been legitimately pissing into the canal.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch][quote name= said:
He'd be the first to make a point against someone else... And his use of smilies suggests that he really isn't THAT sorry.

If a driver came on and said virtually the same, about driving on a narrow street and missing a cyclist by millimetres, while travelling at around 5 times their speed, would you give them a break as well?

When I read his post I got the feeling that he really did feel a bit guilty about what he had done. No harm was actually done, just a near miss. I also didn't get the impression that he was riding particularly recklessly either, sounds more like a simple misjudgement, so yes if someone on here admitted to doing the same thing in a car then I guess I would have to give them a break yes.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Arch said:
Is this on a shared-use path then?

If so, 20mph is a really stupid sort of speed to be doing.
Pete said:
Oh dear, Bonj, was this a psychle path (shared ped/bike), by any chance?
I've no idea what the legal definition is, it's just a path through a park. Peds and cyclists both use it, and I'm sure cycles are allowed to use it.

If you mean "did it have a line down the middle and markings for peds one side, cycles the other" - no it didn't.

Top Bottom