Neck ache with helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Not worn a helmet since I swapped from road to MTB, but I now go out with my 7YO grandson who is made to wear one by his mother/father, my daughter/SIL, that is their choice & I was not going to argue with them. However it did cause a couple of questions from the grandson & the pressure increased from the wife to also start wearing one. I also had a slowish off the other day when my handlebar clipped a branch across a track & I went down, my head hit something sharp as it drew a little blood from a very small scratch.

I used to get shoulder & neck ache when out on the bike, but 3 sets of handlebars later, a new stem, new seat that had all gone, however now I'm wearing a helmet this appears to have come back, I did 27 miles offroad yesterday & this morning my neck is still sore, the helmet is a Bell weighing 272 grams, can it make that much difference, or am I looking for excuses not to wear it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It may be the helmet, but more likely it's the angle you're holding your head at because of the helmet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

You took a 7yr old on a 27 mile MTB ride? No wonder you have a bad neck with all that extra looking around to see they are ok.
Nope he normally rides about 10 miles best he has done is 14.5 miles the other Sunday in Clumber park, I rarely have him behind me, always where possible out front, that way he sets the pace that he's comfortable at, also when on the roads I ride on his outside but behind him, so that hopely the cages see him & IF they are going to hit anything it's me first.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is there a peak on the helmet which might be forcing you to hold your head in an unaccustomed position/angle to view the route ahead?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Is there a peak on the helmet which might be forcing you to hold your head in an unaccustomed position/angle to view the route ahead?
There is, I also thought since I also changed my gloves & half way around I had to stop & loosen the wrist strap as my wrists were uncomfortable which is also uncommon. So I'm now wondering if I was changing my ride position to alleviate my wrists, Ill go back to my old gloves for the next ride.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I suspect its the extra weight and girth of the helmet.
300g moving carries more force when it's moving and then you have the extra wind resistance it's size and shape generates.
I think your neck muscles will probably develop over time to counter those.

Top Bottom