Need a good back light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I’ve had a Garmin varia radar light on the back now for over a year. It’s been a real game changer in safety and confidence for me on the road. I was sceptical before I bought it, but so many people said the same thing I thought I’d go give it a go, and I really don’t regret it. Not much use on busy main roads, as it’ll just be showing you all the traffic behind you all the time and annoying you, but on quieter B roads it’s amazing - you feel safer being out in the road more of the time and not hugging the hedgerows, more confidence going downhill quickly knowing you’ve not got someone about try and overtake, and when a car is coming past you’ll always know in advance it another one or two are following. I love it. The light works well too.

Lovacott

Über Member
I’ve had a Garmin varia radar light on the back now for over a year. It’s been a real game changer in safety and confidence for me on the road. I was sceptical before I bought it, but so many people said the same thing I thought I’d go give it a go, and I really don’t regret it. Not much use on busy main roads, as it’ll just be showing you all the traffic behind you all the time and annoying you, but on quieter B roads it’s amazing - you feel safer being out in the road more of the time and not hugging the hedgerows, more confidence going downhill quickly knowing you’ve not got someone about try and overtake, and when a car is coming past you’ll always know in advance it another one or two are following. I love it. The light works well too.

I bought a cheap bar end mirror earlier this year and it's my favourite accessory. Great for all the reasons you stated above and essential when I'm about to execute a right hand turn on a busy road. I also like the fact that I don't have to crane my neck every ten seconds to see what's going on behind me. I will look into a Garmin setup next year because I've already spent this years cancelled holiday money on bike stuff and the missus is getting a bit pissed off.

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
I’ve had two Knog Blinder R70 but one non-replaceable band broke and the other one jumped free on a ride. At £40 each they are too expensive to keep replacing.

I’ve now moved to a Moon Nebula for £25 which is excellent for light choices and battery life. The only problem is I have an aero seat post with a completely flat/square back so the light points 45degrees out in to the traffic or pavement, it won’t sit directly behind. Does anyone have a tip to sort this out?

davidphilips

Veteran
I’ve had two Knog Blinder R70 but one non-replaceable band broke and the other one jumped free on a ride. At £40 each they are too expensive to keep replacing.

I’ve now moved to a Moon Nebula for £25 which is excellent for light choices and battery life. The only problem is I have an aero seat post with a completely flat/square back so the light points 45degrees out in to the traffic or pavement, it won’t sit directly behind. Does anyone have a tip to sort this out?
Just mount it on the R/H seat stay, Its either that or a different seat post?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I bought a cheap bar end mirror earlier this year and it's my favourite accessory. Great for all the reasons you stated above and essential when I'm about to execute a right hand turn on a busy road. I also like the fact that I don't have to crane my neck every ten seconds to see what's going on behind me. I will look into a Garmin setup next year because I've already spent this years cancelled holiday money on bike stuff and the missus is getting a bit pissed off.

Another vote for a cheap bar end mirror, although they probably work best on flat bar bikes.

I use mine all the time, same as the rear view mirror in the car.

My brother has one of the Garmin radar gadgets, and also a helmet radio link to his wife when they ride together.

I had the misfortune to ride with them, and was treated to a running commentary from brother informing his wife of every upcoming vehicle.

The radio link was irritating because when one of them spoke, I didn't know if they were speaking to me or each other.

We were on a century ride, but relief arrived after about 70 miles when the radio batteries went flat.

davidphilips

Veteran
There one cyclist i would love to see using a mirror, every time he looks behind him he stops cycling and any one close behind him has to brake, has been the cause of many a near miss, then theres another cyclist i know who every time he looks behind him hes all over the road.

Broadside

Guru
Just mount it on the R/H seat stay, Its either that or a different seat post?
The rubber band is too long to go round the seat stay and the seat post is frame specific, so I would have to change the frame too :smile:

I didn’t realise before buying that the Moon lights have two articulated jaws which are great for gripping a round post but just don’t work on anything with an angular shape.

I’m going to try one of the PlanetX Jobsworth lights, looks very similar but just with a regular band that will go round the seat post snuggly. I posted on this thread to see if anyone had suggestions for a aero seat post friendly light as I know the one i’ve got doesn’t work well.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the misfortune to ride with them, and was treated to a running commentary from brother informing his wife of every upcoming vehicle.

The radio link was irritating because when one of them spoke, I didn't know if they were speaking to me or each other.

We were on a century ride, but relief arrived after about 70 miles when the radio batteries went flat.
Sounds like hell, I hope some of the CTC folk don't get hold of that tech. SOME of them point out every single minor blemish in the road with hand signals. If you didn't tune them out you'd end every ride a nervous wreck and never get on a bike again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sounds like hell, I hope some of the CTC folk don't get hold of that tech. SOME of them point out every single minor blemish in the road with hand signals. If you didn't tune them out you'd end every ride a nervous wreck and never get on a bike again.

There is a large element of crying wolf with hand signals - the more you make, the more you will be ignored.

Strange to relate, a serial hand signaller and caller that springs to my mind is/was big in CTC circles.

Maybe their leaders make a big point of doing it.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I managed to pick up a Garmin Varia radar last year and a good price. Really good bit of kit. The light is a bit bright, but I covdeerd the lens with a layer of car window tinting film which stopped my ride buddies complaining about the light being too bright.

Top Bottom