Need a job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Would you rather be emptying bins all day? I wouldn't, it sounds horrid. I'm perfectly happy to pay somebody else to do it.

I'm not sure. I'm mentally exhausted every week, and I often don't have the time or the energy to give quality time to my daughter. I ask myself if that's worse than loading the odd slightly smelly bin onto the back of a lorry. They don't handle the actual rubbish, that's not allowed any more.
I accept that bin men start early, but they finish extremely early. Late afternoons and evenings are yours entirely, at least you're not burning the candle at both ends.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm not sure. I'm mentally exhausted every week, and I often don't have the time or the energy to give quality time to my daughter. I ask myself if that's worse than loading the odd slightly smelly bin onto the back of a lorry. They don't handle the actual rubbish, that's not allowed any more.
I accept that bin men start early, but they finish extremely early. Late afternoons and evenings are yours entirely, at least you're not burning the candle at both ends.
Mental exhaustion, or physical exhaustion and smelling of bin juice. Two sides of the same coin I suppose and both worthy of fair remuneration.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mental exhaustion, or physical exhaustion and smelling of bin juice. Two sides of the same coin I suppose and both worthy of fair remuneration.
Except bin man removes his bin juice clothes (if he ever got any on him) and showers, and he's done for the day. The lorry does the lifting, he just wheels the bin. I'm struggling to see where this job gets hard these days. 1970, maybe quite hard. 2016, not hard at all from what I see.

classic33

Leg End Member
Except bin man removes his bin juice clothes (if he ever got any on him) and showers, and he's done for the day. The lorry does the lifting, he just wheels the bin. I'm struggling to see where this job gets hard these days. 1970, maybe quite hard. 2016, not hard at all from what I see.
Be a Sh*t Stirrer.

You can be chest deep in other peoples "waste" or animal "waste", making certain it doesn't block the suction hose.

TrishE

Über Member
I've had a few customers say to me that they wouldn't do my job on minimum wage....I reply no neither would I :wacko:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I must confess to being a bit surprised by the bin man salary. Bearing in mind the salaries available for highly qualified professions. Of course it's not a terribly pleasant job but, as mentioned, a lot of the drudgery has been mechanised out of it

Sandra6

Veteran
My son applied for a job as a bin man - didn't get it - but it was paying about half what some of you think it does.
It's not a job I'd choose for twice that sum!
I would bite your hand off for the job in the op though.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yes i remember those days metal bIn carried on the shoulder from our back yard and brought back as well, not left half way down the road
Health and safety innit.
I did a bin round during a summer holiday when i was a student in the late 90's. We had to carry the bins on our shoulders, some were bloody heavy, i still remener the ones full on nappies. Sadly hanging on the back of the lorry whilst ot drove along was banned by then.
It was a great job, we started before 6 am and if you worked fast you finished by mid day.
I doubt a bin man gets £30k, the driver might, but the general grunts at the back will be on about £20k.

Health and safety innit.
I did a bin round during a summer holiday when i was a student in the late 90's. We had to carry the bins on our shoulders, some were bloody heavy, i still remener the ones full on nappies. Sadly hanging on the back of the lorry whilst ot drove along was banned by then.
It was a great job, we started before 6 am and if you worked fast you finished by mid day.
I doubt a bin man gets £30k, the driver might, but the general grunts at the back will be on about £20k.
All changed around our way this last couple of weeks, we now have a fortnightly collection and they didn't empty our bin till after 5pm yestrday

Top Bottom