Need a little advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard1537

Hi all,

New member here so be gentle.
I've recently bought a Specialized Tarmac to get myself a little fitter, I'm very active anyway and have an active job so always on the move but never do anything to raise the heartbeat (playing golf is as good as it gets) so I thought this is as good a sport as any to help out.

I'm about 6ft and probably a little underweight at 11st so I don't need to loose weight if any put a little on and build up a bit more leg strength.

For the past few weeks i've been working on an exercise bike we've had in our garage for a years and can push on at a nice steady 22-25mph with a little tension on the belt and cover about 12-15 miles without to much problem.

The question is what would people recommend as a bit of a training schedule now that the road bike has arrived? I've basically just got it and now looking into getting up and running.

Thanks in advance

it's a bit early for training schedules, tbh - besides, what are you 'training' for..? Just concentrate on steady riding at first - aim to be out for a couple of hours, build up a bit of aerobic endurance and go from there..

OP
OP
Richard1537

Richard1537

Yeah i know what your saying, just want to build up to 30-40 mile runs. Recommend staying on the bike longer at more manageable speeds or push harder over shorter distances??

Peteaud

Veteran
it's a bit early for training schedules, tbh - besides, what are you 'training' for..? Just concentrate on steady riding at first - aim to be out for a couple of hours, build up a bit of aerobic endurance and go from there..

+1

Your not in training so to speak.

I dont like too much planning, get out and enjoy it.

Different hills, different routes, longer, etc.

Yeah i know what your saying, just want to build up to 30-40 mile runs. Recommend staying on the bike longer at more manageable speeds or push harder over shorter distances??

time on the bike at a manageable speed over 2+ hours will be much more beneficial to you in the long run. Commonly referred to as 'base' training, which is pretty much where you are at right now. By all means add in a few shorter, faster rides in the evenings or whenever, but time on the bike is key to pretty much every other step you take in development...

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Just ride it for as long and at a tempo which is enjoyable! The bike fitness will come (I'm still waiting though!) and by then you will know what you enjoy!

Top Bottom