Need a Lower Headset Bearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see now - what I didn't appreciate is that Cannondale have fiddled with the bearings so as to enable a greater amount of outer angle - so that the bearing sits 2mm higher in the headtube - hence the gap.

As I see it you have four options:

1) Use the bearing as is with the gap - there is less contact area between the cup race and bearing so it is not ideal but may work ok. Also see if a different crown race can be fitted which lowers the bearing a tad.

2) Get a similar bearing but 5/6mm deep instead of 7mm - this reduces the gap but you still have the reduced contact area.

3) Get the Cannondale headset

or

4) Get another internal headset that fits the bike.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

I have degreased and used my air compressor to blow everything out and it runs smoother, just waiting for my grease to arrive, and will see how that goes, failing that i may have to wait for new one from qwertycycles and im interested in no4 but will have to do some investigation on that, and i don't like the reduced contact area could be playing with fire on that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have you tried refurbishing the old bearing?

This is the only video I've ever done on Youtube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buy80Fj-Afg

Cheers for this chap.
I have been suffering from a clicking of the headset. I was going to get some new headset bearings. But your video was extremely helpful. Did both the upper and lower bearings, complete stripdown, clean and re-grease.. Quite a nice job to do. So hopefully it's banished the clicks.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Wish mine were like that, but not so, re-greased mine but still not happy, luckily for me qwertycycles have just got some new ones in so bought one, just waiting for it, along with the new Wheels mfg BB installed, should feel like a new bike again.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Update, first bearing didn't turn up, they sent another but not sure if they sent the right one, the 2nd bearing is a MR169 TH970E, it is exactly the same as original except the id should be 34 and the one i got is 34.8, anyway, bunged it on and no extra gaps and appears to sit properly, inside and outside angles were the same as well, so looks like all is well.

Update, first bearing didn't turn up, they sent another but not sure if they sent the right one, the 2nd bearing is a MR169 TH970E, it is exactly the same as original except the id should be 34 and the one i got is 34.8, anyway, bunged it on and no extra gaps and appears to sit properly, inside and outside angles were the same as well, so looks like all is well.

If it fits I would be tempted to get another one now whilst they are available.

Top Bottom