Need a new bike.. again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reverend

Regular
Hi guys,

Can someone suggest me a new bike to buy? My budget is max £250 (can go up to £300 but prefer something cheaper). I will want to pay monthly under 0% interest free finance.

I will be using the bike for delivering (ubereats, deliveroo, stuart etc). Going to be looking to use the bike at-least 5 days a week for about 4 hours a day approx.

Can someone recommend me a solid bike that won't just die out quickly, like has good quality materials? I purchased a Apollo Transition from halfords for £160, spent like £100 already just to get things repaired (chain issues/pads and what not....)

Please help!

Mod Note:
Previous OP here, please be gentle. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

13 rider

Guru
How about second hand ? Paging @biggs682 has a trek for sale in your budget see thread in sale auction section

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
At the price i would either be looking in Decathlon for a new machine or scouring e bay , gumtree , face book market place for a low used quality bike that is being sold like the 2011 58cm Trek Alpha 1.2 lightly used i have just listed there are loads of such like bikes being sold after sitting unused for a few years .

But you have to remember what ever bike you buy and the kind of use you are saying will need to be maintained

What happened to the Transition ?

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...source=skimlinks_phg&utm_campaign=phgreferral

Or wait a week or two when this will inevitably be reduced in the sales

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...era-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-18-20-22-frames

Or Decathlon (don't know if they do finance)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-flat-bar-road-bike-id_8500949.html

As above with any bike being ridden in all weathers on urban roads will need maintenance, learn to do it yourself will save money but you'll need to budget every month or two

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reverend

Regular
Thanks for replying everyone!

How about second hand ? Paging @biggs682 has a trek for sale in your budget see thread in sale auction section

I'm a little scared to buy second hands, what if they also have similar issues but I don't know until after I've used it for a few weeks or so idk - plus I really needed to be able to pay monthly if possible.

At the price i would either be looking in Decathlon for a new machine or scouring e bay , gumtree , face book market place for a low used quality bike that is being sold like the 2011 58cm Trek Alpha 1.2 lightly used i have just listed there are loads of such like bikes being sold after sitting unused for a few years .

But you have to remember what ever bike you buy and the kind of use you are saying will need to be maintained

What happened to the Transition ?

Alright, I'll take a look at places like ebay, it seems decathlon don't do finance :sad:. Btw, is there any chance you would accept monthly payments?

I understand, I had been cleaning the bike after every use and also lubing the chains.

Story about my apollo transition: Brought the bike on 3rd october, currently on my 3rd chain now. Halfords done a check and said the wheel isn't true, hub service issues, fitting costs and all together it will all cost £69 to repair. I've spent exactly £68 so far just for repairs by a cytech 1 & 2 mech and also halfords tea.

I want to buy a preowned one but I feel it's going to be hard to find a reliable one
icon_sad.gif
. I also would really prefer to pay monthly if possible

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...source=skimlinks_phg&utm_campaign=phgreferral

Or wait a week or two when this will inevitably be reduced in the sales

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...era-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-18-20-22-frames

Or Decathlon (don't know if they do finance)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-flat-bar-road-bike-id_8500949.html

As above with any bike being ridden in all weathers on urban roads will need maintenance, learn to do it yourself will save money but you'll need to budget every month or two

Those bikes look good, is it a good idea to buy from halfords at all? I've heard it is the worst place to purchase a bike at.

It seems decathlon don't do monthly payments

Mudguards and learn to look after it.

I've got mudguards on the bike and do clean it everytime after use

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
So if you require 0% finance then any second hand suggestions are a no go.

You seemed to ignore the advice given in your original post namely avoid front suspension on cheap bikes and avoid the Apollo brand, take the good advice offered this time.

I would go with any of @vickster ’s suggestions but learn to keep it clean, dirty drivetrains just wear quickly no matter how expensive they are, maintenance is key especially at this time of year, salt on roads can kill a bike quickly.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ebay, Paypal finance 0% for first time use and 12 months to pay.

you could get a great bike for £250-£300
i just sold a bike costing 800 for 200 on here.
bikes just dont hold their money.

do not buy a new cheap bike for daily use ,it wont last a month

OP
OP
R

Reverend

Regular
So if you require 0% finance then any second hand suggestions are a no go.

You seemed to ignore the advice given in your original post namely avoid front suspension on cheap bikes and avoid the Apollo brand, take the good advice offered this time.

I would go with any of @vickster ’s suggestions but learn to keep it clean, dirty drivetrains just wear quickly no matter how expensive they are, maintenance is key especially at this time of year, salt on roads can kill a bike quickly.

Yeah, in-fact I got too greedy at that time to buy a bike ASAP and didn't actually read any of the replies on my OG post until the issues started few weeks after I got the bike lol.

Ebay, Paypal finance 0% for first time use and 12 months to pay.

you could get a great bike for £250-£300
i just sold a bike costing 800 for 200 on here.
bikes just dont hold their money.

do not buy a new cheap bike for daily use ,it wont last a month

Alrighty, going to check ebay out now, is there any specific recommendations on bikes on there?

OP
OP
R

Reverend

Regular

I see, I did clean it everytime after use but I guess I could have done better? Idk

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you based? A lot of bike sellers won’t send the bike and if they will it’ll cost you around £30. So buy local and view before you bid. Also due diligence to confirm it’s not stolen

Can you finance via an interest free credit card?

Carrera bikes aren’t bad, some of the mechanic builds can be a bit hit and miss so check it’s all working and done up tightly before you leave the shop

OP
OP
R

Reverend

Regular
Where are you based? A lot of bike sellers won’t send the bike and if they will it’ll cost you around £30. So buy local and view before you bid. Also due diligence to confirm it’s not stolen

Can you finance via an interest free credit card?

Carrera bikes aren’t bad, some of the mechanic builds can be a bit hit and miss so check it’s all working and done up tightly before you leave the shop

I am based in Newcastle, UK. I had a look on eBay, gumtree and fb marketplace but can't seem to find anything good that is the right size, price or within a distance i can go to.

Try Facebook market place too.
Some good bikes on there too

Had a look but nothing affordable or looking reliable on it in Newcastle so far from looking

Top Bottom