Need a new Bike....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pudsi

Hello! I am looking for some advice on a new bike. I am 49 years old and just returning to Cycling after a break of 30 years! My old Raleigh Team Replica just doesn’t do it for me anymore….! I am currently using a borrowed bike. I am not interested in Racing or TT’s – just 50-100 miles a week at a steady 15mph pace. I have been recommended the Cannondale Synapse but I just wondered if anyone could recommend anything else too? I am looking for a Full Carbon Frame. My budget is £1500 (but could squeeze a bit more if needed…). Also, what are your thoughts on Disc Brakes? Worth the extra cash? Thanks, Ade.

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:

The Cannondale is a good shout, I had a look at one up close and was impressed with it.

Another easy recommendation is the Giant Defy, and their 2015 carbon Defys all have disc brakes now. This one below would be under your £1500 budget.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.2/19188/77291/#specifications

Personally I like disc brakes a lot, mainly because they work the same every time even in the wet. A rim brake in the wet doesn't "bite" straight away. It's a bit disconcerting when you pull the lever and nothing happens for a few seconds :ohmy:. Brake pads can make a lot of difference there, you would get used to it, so do not discount rim brakes completely. There's nothing wrong with them, and braking power is otherwise exactly the same.

The other advantage of discs is that you don't wear out the wheel itself, just the brake disc (eventually) which is an awful lot cheaper to replace.

The best thing you can do to choose a bike is to go and sit on them and preferably get a test ride to see what you like. The best bike is the one that fits you best :thumbsup:

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
At that budget you can take your pick of lots of lovely bikes. Get yourself down to the local bike shops and test ride a few. Good luck and happy riding

Lone Wolf

Stick to steel ! They are repairable and long lasting. Carbon cracks and shatters. A stone would scratch the paint on a steely, but the same stone could puncture a carbon rending the bike useless. For £1500 you could get a hand built Pashley, or a customised frame.

annirak

Veteran
Stick to steel ! They are repairable and long lasting. Carbon cracks and shatters. A stone would scratch the paint on a steely, but the same stone could puncture a carbon rending the bike useless. For £1500 you could get a hand built Pashley, or a customised frame.
This is just fear mongering. Modern carbon is better than steel. There's no actual evidence that a modern carbon frame would be affected by a thrown stone.

MikeW-71

Veteran
If a carbon frame was punctured by a stone, it would not have been strong enough to hold the riders weight in the first place.

Mine has taken stone hits, rattled over cobbles and rough roads, banged a couple of potholes etc. No problem whatsoever.

I did have an annoying creak from it. Turned out to be from a bottle cage!

outlash

also available in orange

Welcome to cyclechat, I'm sure you'll go down well here.....

Lol.

Lone Wolf

I just happen to like steel. Tried this new fandangled stuff years ago, and wasn't impressed. Maybe I just had a bad experience.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I love steel bikes (I've only ever had one bike made out of anything else) but they're heavier than ally or carbon for the same money.

A proper lightweight steel bike is generally expensive; Genesis steel bikes seem to be good value, but they're all overweight. It's the old strong/light/cheap equation...

Top Bottom