Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
So I foolishly agreed to do a bike tour from Wakefield to London and that's now crept up on me. It's in 3 weeks.

I'm doing it with experienced cyclists who have nice road bikes.

I have 3 bikes, mountain bike, not suitable, CX, comfy, love it but too heavy, road bike, 10 year old Carrera which is well used.

I thought I could just turn up to a shop and point at one, oh no, everywhere is out of stock!

So I'm looking anywhere and everywhere for new or second hand. I have a budget of £750-1.5k for the right one and need an XL.

Can anyone offer advice please? Any known shops, bikes, anyone selling?

From the NW but will travel for the right bike.

Thanks Dave

vickster

Legendary Member
Trek bikes appear to be available. Try some local dealers (Balfes in the London area have Domanes so would assume other dealers would too)
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/trek/road-bikes/adult

there’s a Trek dealer in Manchester
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/retail/manchester_piccadilly/
Phone them when they open

Presumably none of your friends can lend you a spare?
Otherwise stick some narrower lighter slicks on your CX. Have you trained for this ride? something that’s comfortable is perfect for a long ride even if it does weigh a couple of kilos more (can you lose a couple of kgs off you in 3 weeks to help?)
How are you transporting luggage?

secondhand look at Facebook, eBay, Gumtree

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looking at that size of bike I had something for far less a week ago - but it's sold.

With the very short time-scale you're probably looking at getting the Carrera updated, lighter tyres on the CX bike or second-hand at the moment I'm afraid: try eBay or Facebook (a 'Wanted' advert on the Yorkshire Cycling Sales FB group would be a suggestion). Decathlon may be your best opportunity new, if the Manchester/other local store has something in stock.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

I've trained for this ride but probably not as much as I should have.
I'm aiming to lose some lbs before the ride. I'm 6'2" and 18 stone but ride regular, just not at speed.
The ride is supported but two drivers, hotels all booked, routes are on the Garmin, one support driver is a chef and is doing all the day food.
I need new tyres, new cassette and new chain for the Carrera, it's got carbon forks and tiagra groupset but these are the 2010 versions.
The CX is a Boardman team, well looked after but heavy inner tubes, tyres, full mudgaurds etc.
The dilemma is to change one one of these bikes to make them more suitable or buy new. I want to sell the Carrera but had no bites at £200 so maybe I'm asking too much?
Planet X have a carbon CX with Force1 for sale at £1650, but not sure how much more suitable this would be?

vickster

Legendary Member
How hilly is the route? A 1x may not work especially if riding with riders with doubles or triples

I’d take the mudguards off the CX, unless having is a condition of the ride and stick some 28mm GP5000s on, even some new lighter wheels (it’s a Boardman CX on stock super heavy wheels, some superstars transformed my 2014 Team). Given your size, a couple of iKG off the bike is going to make diddly difference. What speeds are you planning on doing on this tour? Are your mates also big slow chaps?

Any new bike is going to be a rush purchase and do you really want to be riding a new bike that you’re not used to?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I see they now do a Ti version :wub: albeit not yet available
Not sure it’s a fast roadbike though if that’s what you want

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Will you be using the bike after this tour? If not then I would go the second hand route and pick up something 105 based for under £500.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
How hilly is the route? A 1x may not work especially if riding with riders with doubles or triples

I’d take the mudguards off the CX, unless having is a condition of the ride and stick some 28mm GP5000s on, even some new lighter wheels (it’s a Boardman CX on stock super heavy wheels, some superstars transformed my 2014 Team). Given your size, a couple of iKG off the bike is going to make diddly difference. What speeds are you planning on doing on this tour? Are your mates also big slow chaps?

Any new bike is going to be a rush purchase and do you really want to be riding a new bike that you’re not used to?
About 8,500' of climbing over 3 days.
There's a group of 5 including me, one triathlete who's super fit, one very fit and two experienced cyclists lighter than me with slightly better times. So a mix of abilities and styles. I've rode plenty of 50+ mile rides but I can average anything between 10-15mph depending on route and how I feel. The distance is less of a worry than the group speed, hence looking for something to help me with that.
I'm due an upgrade on my road bike, so the purchase would also be to replace the Carrera, which is an issue with the Planet X CX as I really like it but too similar to me Boardman team CX and not really like for like replacement for the Carrera Vanquish, which has been brilliant BTW just now tired and need of upgrades, so upgrade the current bike or buy new/2nd hand?
Only other issue with the current Carrera is it's a large frame, I feel on its limit

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies.

I've trained for this ride but probably not as much as I should have.
I'm aiming to lose some lbs before the ride. I'm 6'2" and 18 stone but ride regular, just not at speed.
The ride is supported but two drivers, hotels all booked, routes are on the Garmin, one support driver is a chef and is doing all the day food.
I need new tyres, new cassette and new chain for the Carrera, it's got carbon forks and tiagra groupset but these are the 2010 versions.
The CX is a Boardman team, well looked after but heavy inner tubes, tyres, full mudgaurds etc.
The dilemma is to change one one of these bikes to make them more suitable or buy new. I want to sell the Carrera but had no bites at £200 so maybe I'm asking too much?
Planet X have a carbon CX with Force1 for sale at £1650, but not sure how much more suitable this would be?
I’d say even in the current market, £200 for a well used / tired basic bike that was what £400 new 10 years ago is way too high! £100 might be more realistic and that‘s if the drive train is in good nick. If trying to sell, at least tart it up with a new chain and tape!

vickster

Legendary Member
How many bike shops have you tried? As said, if buying in a rush, you’re going to be compromising, so probably spending less would be sensible

Top Bottom