Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sounds like a great trip - not just supported but chef doing day food? Awesome.

If it were me, I wouldn't be getting a new bike just a couple of weeks away.

My advice woukd be decide which of the CX or Carrera you find most comfortable. Splash out on a set of fast road tyres - I use Vittoria Corsa. Remove mudguards etc. If you really fancy it, get a new wheelset - but at 18st (not a criticism, I've been there) you'll need something pretty robust, and I wouldn't want to find it wasn't on a big tour.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I’d say even in the current market, £200 for a well used / tired basic bike that was what £400 new 10 years ago is way too high! £100 might be more realistic and that‘s if the drive train is in good nick. If trying to sell, at least tart it up with a new chain and tape!
TBH everything works fine, had it serviced last year and the mechanic said "that's a really good bike, well looked after" just has a narrow cassette(not sure the number?) And not great for the hills at my size. Hence considering new cassette and therefore new chain. Tyres are fine, but if I tour with it I'd want new, so it is very clean, got it's very first scratch just last week when it fell 🙁.
But yes it may be still overpriced, if I buy new I'm not really bothered what it goes for, just need the space so would be happy to drop to £100

vickster

Legendary Member
Stick it on Gumtree for £150 or £145 and see how you go.
if you want a wider cassette, you might need a new mech and chain and then things start to get more expensive. plus tyres, but still less than spending £1500 new.
I’d roadarise the CX and then shop for a new bike at leisure after the trip, in preparation for the next one :okay:

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
How many bike shops have you tried? As said, if buying in a rush, you’re going to be compromising, so probably spending less would be sensible
Lots, almost everything within 30 miles and more beyond. Some bikes suitable but I don't love them such as a giant AR disk I think it is. Seems expensive compared to others

Any suggestions on new wheels and tyres for the Boardman CX 2014?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Sounds like a great trip - not just supported but chef doing day food? Awesome.

If it were me, I wouldn't be getting a new bike just a couple of weeks away.

My advice woukd be decide which of the CX or Carrera you find most comfortable. Splash out on a set of fast road tyres - I use Vittoria Corsa. Remove mudguards etc. If you really fancy it, get a new wheelset - but at 18st (not a criticism, I've been there) you'll need something pretty robust, and I wouldn't want to find it wasn't on a big tour.

Enjoy!
Yes I think your right. 18 stone is a lot of weight to get up those hills 😳but I exercise regularly and a relatively active guy, big frame having played rugby and hours upon hours in a gym when I was younger, not that you'd think seeing me now 😁 and any remaining muscle that may be there isn't a help on a bike.
I believe weight on the wheels has a large impact, so another idea would be to upgrade those on the CX and maybe have a winter/summer set up?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Stick it on Gumtree for £150 or £145 and see how you go.
if you want a wider cassette, you might need a new mech and chain and then things start to get more expensive. plus tyres, but still less than spending £1500 new.
I’d roadarise the CX and then shop for a new bike at leisure after the trip, in preparation for the next one :okay:
Yes that seems to be the sensible approach

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t see why you can’t use the CX or Carrera with a few mods. I don’t think new wheels and tyres on the CX are going to make a lot of difference. There’s a Specialized Allez in the ads in XXL which might suit In North Yorks.
Whatever you use I think you’ll struggle in that company. How many miles a day are you aiming for?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Can’t see why you can’t use the CX or Carrera with a few mods. There’s a Specialized Allez in the ads in XXL which might suit In North Yorks.
Whatever you use I think you’ll struggle in that company. How many miles a day are you aiming for?
All planned at around 67,87,61 from memory's

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wish you luck, just hope you’re feeling fit :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m partial to the lovely noise that fulcrums make.

Fulcrum Racing 5 DB Road Disc Wheelset
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-db-road-disc-wheelset these weigh 1650g and could be accompanied by some Ti skewers which unfortunately wiggle don’t sell in 135mm.
That’s not a lot of spokes (24) for an 18 stone rider on Uk roads
Superstar do with 32 spokes and are also noisy :laugh:
If the CX is on the original tyres or similar, definitely change!
Sigma have the 5000s in a 32mm, sure somewhere will have 28s (Wiggle do) (if they fit the wheels, I had 32s on the Mavic 319s)
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Continental/GP5000-Clincher-Tyre/KJ5Z

Last edited:
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Original wheels Mavic XM disk they say.
Vittoria randonneur pro tyres and slime inner tubes.
Mudgaurds.
2 bags.

It's a winter or all day pootle bike currently

vickster

Legendary Member
Original wheels Mavic XM disk they say.
Vittoria randonneur pro tyres and slime inner tubes.
Mudgaurds.
2 bags.

It's a winter or all day pootle bike currently
That’s all heavy, new tyres, new tyres without weighty slime, remove the mudguards and the bags. Should save you a couple of KGs. Those wheels are bricks too, well over 2.5kg without tubes and tyres! :laugh: These will be lighter and still 32 spoked
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/essential-wheels-v3-black-dragon-uk-made.htm
@DCLane might know of a discount voucher for Superstar

Top Bottom