Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Aren’t they pretty much the same, slightly better hubs perhaps ? Still only 24 spokes so not really.
in fact it was those I linked before with the 120kg max weight limit
I've emailed about those dragon ones to ask advice. Happy buying just want to make sure I get the right stuff.
How hard is it to fit? I imagine I need to fit the cassette but us that it?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've emailed about those dragon ones to ask advice. Happy buying just want to make sure I get the right stuff.
How hard is it to fit? I imagine I need to fit the cassette but us that it?
And the disc rotors and rim tape, tubes and tyres

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ll need a cassette tool and chain whip.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've not read the full thread, but as has been mentioned already, don't get a new bike just for this trip. Choose which bike you are most comfortable on from the CX or the Carrera and get it serviced ready for the trip. I'm not boasting, but Wakefield to London in 3 days is about 75 miles a day? Not easy but also not a mammoth task for a reasonable cyclist. At touring pace and with company those daily miles should just fly by. Make sure the rest of the group are not trying to set personal best times and just enjoy the trip.
Defo not time for a new bike :okay:

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thank all, listened to the advice and..........

Currently looking to use the Boardman Team CX
Removed the mudguards
Removed 1 of 2 bags
Removed few lights

Slight play in rear wheel, tried but fix but couldn't figure it out, I've fixed a wheel before but this is different for some reason?
Saw the numbers 38-32 on the side of the wheel, does that mean those rims wont take a 28mm tire? I was just thinking of upgrading the tires and inner tubes and leaving the wheels, not so much the money but the worry of what I'm buying and what I need

vickster

Legendary Member
32s Will definitely fit. 28s, pretty sure I was told they would, but I went with 32s so they don’t look quite so skinny in the chunky frame!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
32s Will definitely fit. 28s, pretty sure I was told they would, but I went with 32s so they don’t look quite so skinny in the chunky frame!
The 32s are out of stock, Im ready to buy the 28s but cautious due to the rims, they are Mavic 319

Edit: plenty of forum posts on this subject that seem to suggest 28mm are ok, some people looking at 25mm but I dont want to go so thin, 28mm will be fine if they work

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The 32s are out of stock, Im ready to buy the 28s but cautious due to the rims, they are Mavic 319
Sigma have the 32s, more cost tho.
Don’t Wiggle have the 30s?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use Vittoria Randonneurs in 32mm size for my commuter which is doing the Lejog next week, and I am the quickest rider in the group. These are reputed to be heavy and draggy but not my experience. Don't get too obsessed with tyre weight, etc or the bike you use. It is ALL about the rider. My bike setup for Lejog is also a few kg heavier than the rest of the team but I still leave them on the hills, it's about the rider :okay:
EDIT: The Randonneurs are much more acceptably priced :okay:

Top Bottom