Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
That’s all heavy, new tyres, new tyres without weighty slime, remove the mudguards and the bags. Should save you a couple of KGs. Those wheels are bricks too, well over 2.5kg without tubes and tyres! :laugh: These will be lighter and still 32 spoked
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/essential-wheels-v3-black-dragon-uk-made.htm
@DCLane might know of a discount voucher for Superstar
Thanks, I've never bought wheels before so not really sure what I'm buying.
Upgrading wheels and tyres and removing all the winter additions should make a large difference and it's a bike I know.
I guess I'm now looking for help on which wheels, which tyres and how to order, for example that link starts talking about hubs? What hubs do I want/need? I've no idea

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, I've never bought wheels before so not really sure what I'm buying.
Upgrading wheels and tyres and removing all the winter additions should make a large difference and it's a bike I know.
I guess I'm now looking for help on which wheels, which tyres and how to order, for example that link starts talking about hubs? What hubs do I want/need? I've no idea
This is the spec as you have QR. You’ll need to add rim tape too, get Velox or ask your LBS to sort everything. Tyres, 28 or 32 will offer a good mix or speed and comfort
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-5000-tyre

Attachments

• ABCC5E96-17A5-463A-9EA2-1ED843045C83.png
    ABCC5E96-17A5-463A-9EA2-1ED843045C83.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 3

vickster

Legendary Member
You just get a bike designed for touring of course. Spa cycles have sensible prices. One bike that does it all.
Unlikely in 3 weeks though and it’s a 3 day supported ride not a full on tour 👍
The CX can become a tourer with no issue

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Those hubs look pretty chunky and checking the weight the wheels are nearly 2k so you’re not going to be saving much. I’d go with the originals with new tyres/tubes would do but if you think new wheels would make a big difference go for them.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Yeah, get 'em off, will make a huuuuge difference. Ditto slime tubes.

You'll be fine on that with 80 miles or less a day, fully supported. Spend your time getting miles in rather than shopping for bikes!
Ha ha your right, I've spent hours looking when I should be cycling

vickster

Legendary Member
Think they are Thru Axle, so no good, you can get adaptors I think but no idea (actually it says they are included). Someone mentioned Fulcrum wheels upthread but 24 spokes is very low given your weight, Fulcrum do suggest a 120kg max rider weight (18 stone is 115 plus you need to add the weight of the bike etc)
https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-5-db

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
It takes time to get a new bike set up to the point where it feels comfortable, so with only 3 weeks to go, I think you've left it too late.

Comfort and reliability are the main focus for a long ride, so choose the existing bike you have most confidence in and use that. Make sure everything is running smoothly and have a good ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another thing…do you have 3 pairs of comfortable padded shorts As it sounds like you’ve not done distances like that before on consecutive days! I’d be more concerned about chafing than the weight of the bike!

Top Bottom