Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Canā€™t see why you canā€™t use the CX or Carrera with a few mods. I donā€™t think new wheels and tyres on the CX are going to make a lot of difference.

I agree.

DRM

Guru
Personally I would use the Boardman, forget new wheels, just put some decent road tyres, the Continental GP5000 in 700x32 are excellent, on it, take the bags off and mudguards if they rub on the tyres, the route south out of Wakefield is hilly, as long as youā€™re comfortable on it, this will be the best option ,

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Personally I would use the Boardman, forget new wheels, just put some decent road tyres, the Continental GP5000 in 700x32 are excellent, on it, take the bags off and mudguards if they rub on the tyres, the route south out of Wakefield is hilly, as long as youā€™re comfortable on it, this will be the best option ,
Agree, currently 40 mile into a cycle having a cafe stop, so much more comfortable. I've removed the mudgaurds and it's so much quieter

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I would also offer to lend you a bike got a garage full of retro steel and they would all enjoy a decent ride
Thank you šŸ™

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
They are good tyres though, Iā€™d get the 32s and save a tenner, as you need to try to keep up with quicker riders. Unfortunately Wiggle have sold out of the Ā£10 Rubino pros they had last week
Cannot find the 30s or 32s in stock! only 28s, need to make a decision v soon on these = argh the choices and dilemmas!!!!!!!!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
As I said, Merlin have the 32s. They have the 30s too but theyā€™re Ā£6 more each, no point as youā€™ve plenty of clearance for 32s
https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-gp5000-folding-clincher-road-tyre-700c-127979.html
Just buy them and get cycling! Theyā€™re consumable tyres not a house youā€™re buying :okay:
argh yes thanks, Ā£10 more than the 28s though

Ive bought enough houses to know that :smile: I need to consider all options and try to get it right though, could make a big impact if i get it wrong and also want it to be good value - Maybe Ā£43 a tyre represents good value - ive no idea - only ever bought cheap ones

vickster

Legendary Member
You could certainly get cheaper, but those are fast rolling.
Iā€™ve never spent that much on tyres either but then Iā€™ve never done a multi day ride with people much faster than me to keep up with
28s might just look a bit odd on the bike and be a bit less comfortable. Iā€™d spend the extra tenner on the 32s.
Youā€™ve left the planning very late, so best not to procrastinate further. Itā€™s a 3 day ride not a life changing decision :okay:

Top Bottom