Need a new chain and advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
This is not the same bike as my previous thread.

I have a folding bike,(single chainring) I`ve changed the chainwheel to lift the gearing a bit. I can`t get on the granny rear cog because the chain is too short now. I think it`s a 3/32 chain.

What do I do? are there chains made of different sized lengths or do I buy a chain , remove x amount of links and reconnect them into the original chain?
Someone told me recently that it`s not a good idea to split chains up and reconnect them and I should put a removable link in the chain if I` am going to be removing it and reconnecting it.
I did manage to split my wifes chain for gear removal and reconnect it but it was a bit tricky.

Thanks

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I`ve just checked and there are 109 links in the chain at present and it measures 3/32 inside the narrowest link.

Would this do me for this runabout folder http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25424

They don`t mention the amount of links in it?

This has 116 links,3/32 + a connecting link and is cheap http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...hain-116-Links-5--6--7-Speed--Black-12618.htm

briank

Either would do the job fine.
If you've to buy a new chain anyway there's no point in piecing the old one out.
As you've found, it's a bit tricky re-connecting without a connecting link, but it's easy enough with a bit of practice and a decent chain tool. Despite conventional wisdom these days, that's the method I used for decades with very few problems. Though of course if you're supplied with a connecting link anyway...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You need a chain that matches the number of rear sprockets

5/6/7 speed chains are usually split and reconnected using a chain rivet tool to push the pin nearly out, then back in again to rejoin it.
8 speed chains mostly come with a connecting link to do the rejoining with, though you can drive the rivet back if you are careful.
9 and 10 speed chains require the use of a connecting link or special pin

Top Bottom