Need a new rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
The rear wheel on my Triban has finally given up the ghost and so I'm on the lookout for a replacement. I'm quite heavy (about 100kg) so I need something robust that will take a few potholes. However, I don't have the money for custom build. Can anyone recommend a factory wheel with a high spoke count 700c Shimano cassette and clincher? Cheap as poss. TIA.

vickster

Legendary Member
What speed is the bike?
finding a stock wheel with 32-36 spokes can be a bit of a challenge, maybe a Shimano offering?
or something like this?
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/mpart_...YUof129DAZeZ8azpIsNWvFXEmdbRyGYxoC_xoQAvD_BwE

is the front black or silver rim/spokes (if you care that is!)

The rear wheel on my Triban has finally given up the ghost and so I'm on the lookout for a replacement. I'm quite heavy (about 100kg) so I need something robust that will take a few potholes. However, I don't have the money for custom build. Can anyone recommend a factory wheel with a high spoke count 700c Shimano cassette and clincher? Cheap as poss. TIA.
Disc brakes ,? Rim brakes ?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
What speed is the bike?
finding a stock wheel with 32-36 spokes can be a bit of a challenge, maybe a Shimano offering?
or something like this?
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/mpart_shimano_r400-mavic_open_elite_silver-dt_swiss_p-g_rear_wheel-ID_80481?sv_source=google&sv_medium=cpc&sv_campaign=[campaign_name]&sv_term=[keyword]&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_GJBhBmEiwALWBQk6DZteistVdmChVB0GKs4WYUof129DAZeZ8azpIsNWvFXEmdbRyGYxoC_xoQAvD_BwE

is the front black or silver rim/spokes (if you care that is!)
Front is black.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
How’s the rim on the front? Might be easier to get a pair
Rims appear fine. It's the rear hub that's knackered. I think you're right. There's a bloke nearby selling a pair of Aksiums for under £90 but with only 20 spokes I'm worried they wouldn't be up to the job

vickster

Legendary Member
Rims appear fine. It's the rear hub that's knackered. I think you're right. There's a bloke nearby selling a pair of Aksiums for under £90 but with only 20 spokes I'm worried they wouldn't be up to the job
i wouldn’t at your weight on skinny tyres. Not sure Mavic spokes are easy to come by either

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you considered getting your LBS to just replace the freehub (or bearings) if that's all that "knackered"?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Have you considered getting your LBS to just replace the freehub (or bearings) if that's all that "knackered"?
I did the bearings myself a couple of times but it's ok for a while but then the adjustment goes out and wheel gets wobbly. I did think of asking the LBS to do just the freehub but that would work out at the same cost as for a new (entry level ) wheel

Top Bottom