Need advice for Way of the Roses bike hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction in regard to renting a hybrid bike to ride the Way of the Roses. I'm from California, and bringing my bike along is proving to be a logistical nightmare.
I intend on starting 15-May in Morecambe and ending in Bridlington, and completing the ride over 4 days. There are a lot of services that provide all-inclusive packages: accommodation, luggage transfer, bike hire, etc. As a solo traveler, that becomes rather expensive, as I am incurring solo supplement rates. I am really just looking for any hire service that would allow me to start in Morecambe and end in Bridlington. I enjoy the planning aspects of booking accommodation, so I'm hoping to avoid having to go all in on a pricey package if I dont have to. Thanks for any assistance!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you check on Google for 'bike hire in Morecambe' there are three places that offer it.
Don't know how you'd get the bike back though.

If you check on Google for 'bike hire in Morecambe' there are three places that offer it.
Don't know how you'd get the bike back though.
Can be done in 4 - 5 hours by train, two or three changes, all Northern Rail so no booking/reservation problems. Brid - Hull - Leeds - Morecambe
Agree not ideal; maybe a pre-arranged courier would be easier - and certainly less time-consuming! Actually hiring a bike somewhere more central to the route, such as Leeds, might be easier to get 'there and back'. As long as Northern Rail is used, there's no problem with a bike.
I suppose it depends what else the OP is planning to do, and where, on this side of the pond.

OP
OP
D

Dontgotomaine

Regular
Can be done in 4 - 5 hours by train, two or three changes, all Northern Rail so no booking/reservation problems. Brid - Hull - Leeds - Morecambe
Agree not ideal; maybe a pre-arranged courier would be easier - and certainly less time-consuming! Actually hiring a bike somewhere more central to the route, such as Leeds, might be easier to get 'there and back'. As long as Northern Rail is used, there's no problem with a bike.
I suppose it depends what else the OP is planning to do, and where, on this side of the pond.
I will actually be visiting a friend in Leeds, so you might be onto something. Thank you!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm not sure there's anyone hiring hybrid bikes in Leeds at the moment, except the universities to staff/students.

Leeds Bike Mill ( https://leedsbikemill.org/ ) sell second-hand bikes, or it's worth a try on the Yorkshire Cycle Sales Facebook group. Posting a 'wanted' advert with male/female, size, type and budget criteria on there should give you some decent options.

Alternatively would a CC user have one available to lend? It'd depend on size and, given you're looking for a hybrid, my old Raleigh Pioneer probably doesn't have good enough brakes for some of the descents :blink:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I think reading that, they will only deliver around Northumberland/Newcastle, your talking a 230 mile round trip, I have a site that I visit on the same industrial estate, it’s 2.5 hours to get there on a good day, with roadworks on several sections of the A1, usually with standing traffic around the Western bypass/A194M split and slow moving traffic from the Team Valley right through to turning for Newcastle Airport, it’ll be a good 3 hour trip one way at least, and from the turning to Amble, it’s nearer to Edinburgh than Leeds!

Top Bottom