Need advice on this old wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi
i have an old raleigh i use for my turbo trainer
a spoke broke recently. i wanted to just replace the wheel maybe. (it'll cost £20 to replace spoke and tru it according to LBS and might be better to just replace it)
i was going to take the cassette off myself just but can't find a pin spanner that small (approx 2mm) i wouldn't want to spend more than a fiver on one when the wheel is worth about the same.
is it likely i'll be able to get the cassette off?

other options are to buy a second hand rear wheel but how does that work when it'll be a different cassette? will it have to be a similar wheel to fit?
if i do manage to get it off what type of new wheel do i need? i'm not sure what sort of cassette this is

thanks

Attachments

• 20121020_190019.jpg
    20121020_190019.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20121020_190030.jpg
    20121020_190030.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20121020_190133.jpg
    20121020_190133.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 39

gbb

Legendary Member
7 speed perhaps ? Looking at the hub, it appears you have a freewheel, not a cassette (IMO, but not guaranteed). The pin spanner you speak of will not remove the freewheel/cassette, thats to open up the freewheel for maintenance/repair. Look around the circumference of the QR, you'll see the bore of the freewheel is slotted/splined. You need a freewheel removal tool that engages those splines (probably a Shimano). They cost IRO £5 to £10, then a strong grip on the wheel if you're lucky, or a chainwhip. Freewheels can often be very very hard to screw off, ive broken a removal tool trying on one wheel.

A different wheel ? Unless its a strange French wheel, most are standard fitment and freewheels have a standard thread.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not bad at all for a QR and new wheel. TBF, you may as well get a new freewheel as well, it won't cost much more (if any) than buying a remover and chainwhip, at least you know you're starting off as well as you can.
Cheap wheels can be ok, i have a pair on my Trek hybrid runaround...just spin them when you first get em and feel for poorly adjusted cones. Cheap wheels are fairly thrown together in that respect, the ones on my Trek were awful (IMO) when i first got them, adjusted before fitted, run ok ever since.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
when you say freewheel are you referring to the cogs set? :rolleyes:
yeah i'd probably get them to make sure it was true

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 on it looking like freewheel not cassette. This freewheel tool would be useful to have in your kit (it looks like it says Shimano). If you know anyone who has one to lend you or take freewheel off for you all the better (I think I have but I'm too far away. There might be local CCers who could help). You'll also, probably need a decent bench mounted vice to hold the tool whilst you turn the wheel. Why not talk to fellow riders, they may put you in touch with someone who could get freewheel off (putting back on is no problem). Re-truing wheel for 1 spoke shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have right spoke key (I've done 4 that my brother mashed up). Might need tweaking every few days till it settles in but not that difficult.
Sheldon has a lot of info and advice.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can fix it without removing the block with a home-made emergency spoke. It's just a long spoke with the elbow cut off and a zig-zag bent to go through the flange. Quick to do and will last as long as the wheel.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
ok it looks like this is a standard shimano freewheel fixing. i just couldnt see the the grooves because it's so dirty :tongue:

i'll buy a removal tool i guess then pick up a wheel.

i'd ultimately like to respray the bike. anyone done this to an old steel frame?

OP
OP
NorthernSky
ok in case anyone cares :thumbsup:
took the wheel to halfords. the guy talked me into buying a new one. took it home and it didn't fit
after faffing about back at the store we found the axle is an old size (130mm) i think the standard is now 135mm?
so it's back to the drawing board. i know of a LBS that might be able to help.
got the gears off, was standard shimano tool and the guy at halfords did it for me, two second job :smile:

Top Bottom