Need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadwell

Hi, guys I need some advice I am planning on cycling 66 miles in 6 hours across two counties, on a cycle route 47 by the end of May or beginning of June I'm trying to raise money for two animal Charites that are close to my heart, the thing is I work 50 hours a week as a support worker I don't have much time to cycle as much as I would like because of other commitments, I was looking at buying a turbo trainer just to keep my fitness levels up , I know its not as good as the road but are they any good or will I be wasting my money. I have got to get my fitness up even before I start to looking for sponsorships , any help would be great many thanks

rivers

How far can I go?
A turbo will definitely help- as well as some sort of training program available from something like Sufferfest, Trainer road or Training peaks. Are you able to commute by bike to your work? If so, even if only a couple of days per week, that will definitely help with your fitness as well. Last year, just after lockdown began to ease, my friends and I went out on a 100 mile ride. Most of us had spent the previous 3 months mostly on the turbo, with only a couple of outdoor rides/week.
Good luck with your charity ride.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi, guys I need some advice I am planning on cycling 66 miles in 6 hours across two counties, on a cycle route 47 by the end of May or beginning of June I'm trying to raise money for two animal Charites that are close to my heart, the thing is I work 50 hours a week as a support worker I don't have much time to cycle as much as I would like because of other commitments, I was looking at buying a turbo trainer just to keep my fitness levels up , I know its not as good as the road but are they any good or will I be wasting my money. I have got to get my fitness up even before I start to looking for sponsorships , any help would be great many thanks
Good morning @Shadwell
A turbo will help your fitness, but the best training is on the road itself. Try to get out when and if you can, even if it is only for half an hour.
As for the ride, 66 mile in 6 hours is only just over 10mph, which unless the terrain is very hilly is very doable.

T4tomo

Guru
As they weather is hopefully improving, you'd be better off spending the hour you'd spend on the turbo out on your bike. Even though time is tight. the odd evening 10 mile and then getting out for 20-30 on a weekend is all you need. Do a 40 miler a week or two before and desire will get you thru the 66.

You can't commute on your bike? Far and away the best way to build up fitness.

Although I have worked from home for most of the last 20 years, I did commute through London for a few months a couple of years ago. Treating the gaps between lights/traffic as an invitation to do a bit of interval training, I saw a very big fitness benefit.

Sharky

Guru
We are moving into the warmer and lighter months. Buy your self some good lights and reflective clothing and get out on the road using the time you are happy to spend on a turbo. An early morning work out before work is quite stimulating and sets you up for the day, rather than being tired as you might expect after exercise.

Good luck for the ride,

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's almost the middle of April and you want to complete this by early June. If we extend that to the end of the second week in June that is nine weeks.

At a guess by the time you've chosen a turbo, bought it, taken delivery etc. at least two weeks will have passed leaving seven weeks to use the turbo. They are in very short supply meaning two weeks is a generous estimate.

I would save my money. Seven weeks on a turbo wont make much difference. If anything it will leave you less prepared than one hour cycling every evening. A turbo is no substitute for cycling.

Top Bottom