Need help to build/buy fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GintsDono

Hi, everyone.
I would like some help building/buying fixed gear bike. If you can help me with advice on building one then you should know that i am complete novice in fixed gear, even though i owned and was riding one.
If you can help me with some OK quality bike on sale please leave a link.
Not looking for anything exclusive or rare. Need sturdy and reliable ride.
Size - 59cm frame
Frame - Track(preferably)
Price - up to 450£

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i presume you are you intending it for road use ?

why just track frame ?

do you want fixed only or flip flop so you have choice of fixed and freewheel ?

older retro or modern styling and materials ?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I love the new Raleigh Equipe, new for 2014/15 and comes in at £474
Its a track bike, so no brakes, In think you'd need to add a front brake but actually that might not be possible
If I had the money, I would love to get one.

For something more practical, this looks sweet
http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m1b0s271p14016/RALEIGH_Propaganda_2015

However, if I was building a Fixie, I would get a steel frame off ebay, have it stripped and painted, and buy all the parts and make it unique.

OP
OP
GintsDono

GintsDono

i presume you are you intending it for road use ?

why just track frame ?

do you want fixed only or flip flop so you have choice of fixed and freewheel ?

older retro or modern styling and materials ?
Track frame because of dropouts. I have this fear that the wheel will come out of it's place otherwise. XD But if there is something good that i like i'll probably overcome my fear in favour of bike.
Fixed only.
Material i would prefer would be steel, but i'm open to new things. Don't really care if it's retro or modern - unless it has some weird shapes.
As for handlebars - dropbars for long distances.

bianchi1

Guru
Track frame because of dropouts. I have this fear that the wheel will come out of it's place otherwise. XD But if there is something good that i like i'll probably overcome my fear in favour of bike.
Fixed only.
Material i would prefer would be steel, but i'm open to new things. Don't really care if it's retro or modern - unless it has some weird shapes.

There are fixed wheel frames that are not track specific. Track frames will have a slightly higher bottom bracket so you don't clip your pedal on the banking. The track frame geometry is also quite 'harsh' and would not be great for longer distances. The front end is quite low, so you might have to compensate with a flipped stem or loads of spacers. They also tend to have an extremely short wheelbase. Chances are your toes will hugely overlap your front wheel. Not a great issue when flying round a track, but I imagine it would cause issues getting round town, especially as you can't freewheel.

And finally a track specific frame is less likely to have drilled forks, so a front brake would be an issue as mentioned above.

pawl

Legendary Member
Something like this:

http://www.alltricks.com/fixie/complete-bikes/charge-complete-bike-plug-prestige-red-738-167958.html

I picked up a track frame (for the track) a couple of weeks ago from alltricks, and the euro rate is good now.

Wrong size, but gives you some idea
Years ago I had Fredy Grubb track frame.Back in the day geared bikes was definite no no for time trailing.The rear hub was double sided fixed .Rear dropouts track ends Front fork crown drilled for break caliper
You my find some thing similar on e bay. I wish I had kept it The frame was so responsive and was great to ride in the slips and wet conditions of winter.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Fixed only.

@GintsDono i have this Pollard that could be sold if it was any good to you running on a freewheel at mo but fixed wheels are cheap on e bay https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-pollard-has-arrived.132366/page-2

Top Bottom