Need help with hub removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKHiker

Regular
I've serviced a few hubs before but they've always had a place for a cone wrench on both sides or at least a cone wrench and regular wrench on one side. All this has is one spot for a cone wrench on one side. How do I get this thing off?

It was making loud clicking noises. Tried dribbling in some warmed up oil. It helped but not enough.

Really appreciate the help on this one!

Attachments

• SI852988.JPG
    SI852988.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 8
  • SI852989.JPG
    SI852989.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 9

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hex key in the axel - any idea of make from the worn out text on the hub.

OP
OP
A

AKHiker

Regular
Hex key in the axel - any idea of make from the worn out text on the hub.

I know you use a hex key to remove the actual hub after you've removed the axle but how do I get the axle parts off to get to that point when there's a place for a cone wrench on only one side as shown in the pics? Kung Ten W5ER is the actual hub

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any pics of the hub from the side. Many are cartridge bearings, so once you've got the freehub off, the tap one side to knock the cartridge bearing out (e.g. I'll tap the freehub side of the axel to knock out the non-drive side, then repeat. But we need to see the axel view.

You can't do the above with cup and cone, but I've Mavic hubs that use 'cone' type fittings for the pre-load on cartridge bearings. I've also cartridge bearing hubs that are just in place by the quick release

OP
OP
A

AKHiker

Regular
Any pics of the hub from the side. Many are cartridge bearings, so once you've got the freehub off, the tap one side to knock the cartridge bearing out (e.g. I'll tap the freehub side of the axel to knock out the non-drive side, then repeat. But we need to see the axel view.

You can't do the above with cup and cone, but I've Mavic hubs that use 'cone' type fittings for the pre-load on cartridge bearings. I've also cartridge bearing hubs that are just in place by the quick release

Not seeing how I remove anything to get to a point where I can knock one side out. is the non drive side just pressed on?

thanks

Top Bottom