Need longer bolt on rear caliper brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A longer bolt isn't the answer since it is difficult to get the right replacement bolt. Remember, it isn't an ordinary bolt but a high-tensile bolt. Your answer lines in drilling out the one side of the hole through the tube - the side currently in your photo facing me, and then inserting a sleeve nut like that used on front brakes. These come in different lengths so check before ordering.

[QUOTE 4532630, member: 45"]Oooh, thanks.

So I need to know outside diameter and thread size?[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. You need to know the OD but these are standard. so you dont have to worry about thread size. Search SJS Cycles or such for sleeve nut.

And I forgot to add. A rear brake only applies about 15% of the total brake force because the wheel skids instead of byte in. The rotational force on that rear brake is minimal, hence the weak bridge in the first place. The front brake is where you should not compromise.

si_c

Guru
You can get longer bolts for the brake which would allow you to put a nut through. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/...ual-pivot-brake-bolt-crmo-for-nut-conversion/ Beware though, I had difficulty swapping the bolt as I was unsure what I was doing and stripped the threads in the brake itself rendering it scrap metal.

The other choices are as either @Yellow Saddle said and drill the bridge out (fine, but might be a tight angle on the bridge) or get another front brake and use that as @raleighnut said as the bolt is longer.

Edit: Alternatively, you could do what I did which is put the original single pivot brake back on, as mentioned above the rear brake doesn't provide as much braking force, and I can easily lock the back wheel up with the single pivot original that came with the frame.

Top Bottom