Need n+2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
@John_S Assume you're still liking your Roadhouse?

@Stonechat Did you look at one?

I have 1000 miles on mine now, much of that over the winter, and I absolutely love it. Even with the extra weight of mudguards and lights it just rides so well. I'm surprised it doesn't get more favourable publicity.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Went to see the Roadhouse
Was expecting 1) To need to be convinced to spend that much and to spend that much
2) to see something to dissuade me

Well quite impressed, going back on Friday for a test ride
The bike does not seem too heavy, they have a 52 cm in stock. I like the black finish, I am not one for bright colours.
Only thing wrong were the bars were to wide for me, they mostly are
Will take mudguards. Even the 30mm tyres did not look too wide. (I might settle for 28's if I had it)

John_S

Über Member
Hi simon.r,

Yes I'm still loving my Roadhouse and I'm really enjoying it as I think it's a great bike. It's not an out and out race machine but a very comfortable mile muncher and if you're not racing I think that it's a perfect bike for commuting, audaxing or just almost any general riding that you might do. I like the 30c tyres for comfort and I think that the tyre clearance helps give you flexibility and a lot of options. I'm still thinking that I might change the whistling stem but I've not got around to that but despite that it's not dampened my enthusiasm for this bike which I think think is great.

Hi Stonechat,

I'm glad that you liked the look of the 2017 Roadhouse and there are quite a few component upgrades over the 2016 model and so hopefully it's like the 2016 model but even better. Also if you can get it from a LBS then great but if you can't stretch to the budget of the extra pounds required for the 2017 model then there might still be a few 2016 ones available.

You've mentioned a 52cm above and if that is your size then there might be some available here but it could be worth a call to check with them.

At £1,300 in a 52cm
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/roadhouse-road-bike-2016-p17219

Triton even advertise a 2016 frameset at £735 and this is the first place I've seen a frame only for sale as before I'd only seen complete bike builds.
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/search/kona-roadhouse

At £1,445 in a 52cm
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Roadhouse-2016-Road-Bike_82254.htm

I hope that your test ride goes well and good luck with your hunt for the perfect N+2 for you.

John

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Yes it meets my requirements (though it blows the budget)
I want mudguards on, and the only thing was the bars were 44 cm and I have narrow shoulders, but to be honest that's similar to what I am riding on now.But when you get a new bike you try to get everything right

vickster

Legendary Member
Easy enough for an LBS to fit narrower bars. I have it done on every bike (38/40cm compact). £50 or so when you factor in bars and new tape (and I use lizardskins)

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I recommend an n+2 and possibly an n+3/4/5.....
Is it actually technically possible to have more than 'n+1'? :scratch:

ryan_w

Why don't you just run a full compact with a 28T rear?

If you live in the UK, there is NO road that requires a 32T unless you're planning to cycle up the side of Big Ben....

I've done numerous 20%+ climbs on a 38/25T combo and I no mountain goat at all @ 92kg.

I think you're really overlooking a lot of amazing bikes because you're transfixed on having a 32T rear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why don't you just run a full compact with a 28T rear?

If you live in the UK, there is NO road that requires a 32T unless you're planning to cycle up the side of Big Ben....

I've done numerous 20%+ climbs on a 38/25T combo and I no mountain goat at all @ 92kg.

I think you're really overlooking a lot of amazing bikes because you're transfixed on having a 32T rear.

I have an 11-32 cassette not only because I'm unfit and overweight but because I also have bad knees. Pushing too hard a gear actually hurts and I don't want to make the damage worse by grinding too high a gear

I also expect you might be rather younger than the OP who's in his 60s IIRC and has decided that for him a 32 is necessary and what he wants :smile: that said it's quite feasible to swap the mech and casette for little outlay, but the OP has indicated he'd rather buy the right spec for him from the outset

Which steel bikes is he overlooking out of interest, other than the Genesis?

Top Bottom