Need n+2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
N+1 is ordered

Existing bike is not in a good way, will liekly eventually be used as part of permanent indoor trainer setup

I need a bike, hesitate to say winter bike
Essentials are
Mudguards, disk brakes, 11-32 cassette
In a way steel mightbe the ticket but not so many around
I do not want a long wait for a custom build (I am already doing that with N+1)

Ideas?

I have some but will wait to see what is said here

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Genesis Equilibrium Disc :smile:

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-2016-equilibrium-disc-20-bike as example

Depending on your size, there are some v good deals around online (e.g. £850 for a small)

Assuming you want drop bars and have a healthy budget

Or a leftfield and rare option - steelie from Pearsons, I'm sure you can spec as required :smile:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-a-cunning-plan.html#product_tabs1

Or if you have a super healthy budget, Condor Fratello Disc (can't imagine their lead times are super long and they do have ready builts in their showroom) :okay:

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
I recommend an n+2 and possibly an n+3/4/5....I've found it useful recently as my fixie snapped an axle and I didn't have the tools to fix it.So my spares came in handy...
N on it's own is never enough...Apart from that I haven't got much of an idea of a bike for you...or even for me for that matter.

n=4 c=0.

c=car.

Last edited:

John_S

Über Member
Hello Stonechat,

Sorry to hear that you've got a long wait for N+1 but in the meantime one suggestion for N+2 is the 2016 Kona Roadhouse which would hopefully fit your wish list.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kona-roadhouse-has-anybody-owned-or-ridden-one.206081/

I've said the 2016 model because the 2017 is a lot more expensive but if you could find a 2016 in your size then hopefully there might be some around with discounts.

Enjoy your hunt for the right N+2 for you.

John

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Kona is an interesting idea, on looking I have a local stockist in Chertsey (which I have never been into)

I did look at the Genesis, but it has 11-28, so presumably a short cage, so I would rule that out.

My existing bike is a Felt Z95
It has been good but I feel everything through the Aly frame
I also have a hybrid, a big heavy beast I rarely use

I have a 1980's Claud Butler in the garage without time or inclination to get it going. - really should go

n+1 is going to be an Enigma titanium bike

Following a shoulder fracture I have not been out much in the winter, cold sometimes get into my shoulder
The n+2 will be a slightly worse weather bike

Budget is not fixed but if this is being used in worse weather I don't want to go too mad on cost

vickster

Legendary Member
At the moment I will look at the Kona
The Genesis would need new rear mech (long cage)
£70 mech and cassette? Sell the old mech and cassette to offset

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm a big fan of Whyte bikes (as I may have mentioned before) and they have plenty that suit your requirements.

Also loving the new Cannondale CAAD Optimo. It's a surprisingly lively ride. Comes with disc brakes and has mudguard mounts. Would make a superb winter training bike. I think the stock cassette is 11-28 but that's easily changed if you need a 32.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a big fan of Whyte bikes (as I may have mentioned before) and they have plenty that suit your requirements.

Also loving the new Cannondale CAAD Optimo. It's a surprisingly lively ride. Comes with disc brakes and has mudguard mounts. Would make a superb winter training bike. I think the stock cassette is 11-28 but that's easily changed if you need a 32.
Don't think Whyte do anything in steel though

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Don't think Whyte do anything in steel though

If the OP is considering steel for comfort reasons, much the same effect can be achieved by use of wider tyres, which is often possible on bikes with disc brakes. The CAAD Optimo comes with 25s and could probably take 28s.

Whyte bikes are generally designed with comfort in mind.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Comfort is just one factor.
A bike with 28 t is definitely ruledout, as I earlier said, it will probably have short cage rear mech.

Really do not want Aly frame again.
Whyte Wessex looks a good bike.

Of to look at Konas this afternoon
Pity the new roadhouse is pricey, like the specs though

Top Bottom