Kona Roadhouse - has anybody owned or ridden one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_S

Über Member
Hello All,

I'm interested in the Kona Roadhouse (link below) and I wondered if anybody has owned or ridden one and has any opinion/ advice about them that they could share with me?

http://2016.konaworld.com/roadhouse.cfm

The bike will be used on my daily 25 - 50 mile (depending on which route I pick & how long I have) round trip commute and for this job I'm sure that it'll do a great job.

However when I get the time (young family permitting) I'll also use it on 100 km plus audax as well as other long distance rides when I get the chance.

I do not want a very aggressive race orientated bike but want a relaxed geometry style bike that is comfortable for all day riding.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience with this bike and can share their thoughts.

Cheers,

John

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As far as I am concerned Kona make bloody good bikes. I have had a couple of Kona's and no doubt will get one again sometime.

The one you link to ticks all the right boxes for what you need it for. Easy to add panniers and mudguards, and easily upgradeable.

simon.r

Person
I've had one for a month / 200 ish miles and absolutely love it.

Most of my rides are 20 to 40 miles, mainly on road but often with a few miles of canal towpath thrown in. The ride is extremely smooth, no doubt in part because of the frame, but I suspect a lot of it is down to the relatively large tyres, which I'm running at 50 / 80 psi.

All the running gear and finishing kit is decent and works (I changed the saddle and seatpost for personal preference and see below re. stem).

If I'm being hyper critical the stem whistles (as described in the road.cc review here: http://road.cc/content/review/182237-kona-roadhouse ) and it's not the lightest bike in the world.

Worth noting that the 2017 model has a RRP more or less double the 2016 model (albeit with better wheels and full Ultegra). Mine came from Tredz when they were doing a £250 off £1500 spend deal and came in <£1200 which I reckon is a very good deal for what you get.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Hi ianruk,

Thanks for the message and good to know that having had a couple of Kona's you're happy to recommend them.

Hi simon.r,

Cheers for the message and it's great to hear from somebody who has one. From everything I read about the bike I think that it sounds great but to hear such positive feedback from somebody who has one is great! No bike out there is 100% perfect and I guess that the stem could be changed if the whistling started to annoy me.

Re: not being the lightest that wouldn't worry me and even with what it weighs it would still be easily the lightest bike that I'd ever owned by about 2.5 - 3kg so to me would be absolutely fine.

Thanks for the photo and it looks great! Thanks for the tip re: looking at Tredz and this is a heck of a lot of money for me so I'll keep an eye out just in case they have any offers on anytime soon.

Thank you.

John

OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Hi simon.r,

Sorry to bother you but I meant to ask you for some advice about frame size.

I'm 5'11'' and looking the the sizing charts I think that a 56cm frame might be right for me but I just wondered if you could let me know what size you went for and if you think that it's worked for you according to your height?

Also I commute using a rear rack with a rack top bag with my work stuff in. I know that there is no rack on your bike in the photo but I just wondered if you have tried fitting a rack to this bike and if so whether it was easy or difficult and did you need a disc specific rack or could you get away with using a standard non-disc specific rack?

Thanks again for your help!

John

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi simon.r,

I'm 5'11'' and looking the the sizing charts I think that a 56cm frame might be right for me but I just wondered if you could let me know what size you went for and if you think that it's worked for you according to your height?

Also I commute using a rear rack with a rack top bag with my work stuff in. I know that there is no rack on your bike in the photo but I just wondered if you have tried fitting a rack to this bike and if so whether it was easy or difficult and did you need a disc specific rack or could you get away with using a standard non-disc specific rack?

John

FYI I had 54" Kona's and I'm 5'9", so I would think a 56 would fit you fine.

Re Panniers. Looking at Simon's lovely bike. A normal rack for pannier will fit fine. Reason being that the disc brake is on the chain stay rather then the seat stay. It would be very easy to fit.

simon.r

Person
@John_S I'm 6'2" and my frame is a 58cm, but I have a fair amount of seatpost exposed and 30mm of headset spacers. The top tube length is just right.

As @ianrauk says, can't see any issues with fitting a rack, but worth mentioning that the mounting holes on the dropouts are M4 (i.e. smaller diameter than 'normal' rack / bottle cage etc bolts).

Wheelies are doing an extra £100 off this weekend, so down to £1344. I think I'm right in saying that Wheelies and Tredz are part of the same group - I'd be very tempted to ring them both up and see if they were prepared to haggle a bit more if I was buying another one!

Also, use Quidco for approx £20 cash back.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hi simon.r,

John

6"1' here and ride a 56cm Honky Tonk no bother. Not sure how the geometry compares to the Roadhouse, but I reckon you'd be fine.

Have to agree on the tubing.
That will make for a great comfortable ride.
The Novatec wheels should be sturdy but light

Last edited:
I've had one for a month / 200 ish miles and absolutely love it.

Most of my rides are 20 to 40 miles, mainly on road but often with a few miles of canal towpath thrown in. The ride is extremely smooth, no doubt in part because of the frame, but I suspect a lot of it is down to the relatively large tyres, which I'm running at 50 / 80 psi.

All the running gear and finishing kit is decent and works (I changed the saddle and seatpost for personal preference and see below re. stem).

If I'm being hyper critical the stem whistles (as described in the road.cc review here: http://road.cc/content/review/182237-kona-roadhouse ) and it's not the lightest bike in the world.

Worth noting that the 2017 model has a RRP more or less double the 2016 model (albeit with better wheels and full Ultegra). Mine came from Tredz when they were doing a £250 off £1500 spend deal and came in <£1200 which I reckon is a very good deal for what you get.

View attachment 141268
Any side shots Simon ?

Top Bottom