Kona Roadhouse - has anybody owned or ridden one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Thanks to everyone for the replies and for the advice & tips about frame size. Now I just have to work over this weekend on my explanation of the N+ equation to my wife.

Simon.r, Sorry to keep asking you questions but how have you found the Shimano RS505 levers for comfort? There was some info in a road.cc article here and it does sort of seem to suggest that they're not for everybody.

http://road.cc/content/review/181892-shimano-105-rs505-hydraulic-sti-road-disc-brake-set

I've read a few reviews and some of the ode reviews seem to say that the shape / ergonomics of the levers are either fine for some people whilst others really dislike them and find them uncomfortable.

For me I've got smaller hands and I'm trying to read enough reviews of the RS505s to get an idea of whether or not they'll be comfortable for me.

Thanks again!

John

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you not try the bike out? Or at least one with the same brifters?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks to everyone for the replies and for the advice & tips about frame size. Now I just have to work over this weekend on my explanation of the N+ equation to my wife.

Simon.r, Sorry to keep asking you questions but how have you found the Shimano RS505 levers for comfort? There was some info in a road.cc article here and it does sort of seem to suggest that they're not for everybody.

http://road.cc/content/review/181892-shimano-105-rs505-hydraulic-sti-road-disc-brake-set

I've read a few reviews and some of the ode reviews seem to say that the shape / ergonomics of the levers are either fine for some people whilst others really dislike them and find them uncomfortable.

For me I've got smaller hands and I'm trying to read enough reviews of the RS505s to get an idea of whether or not they'll be comfortable for me.

Thanks again!

John

Just go try a bike (any bike) fitted with them - I've ridden three and I've not got a clue where the writer of that article is coming from. They are nice and comfy, work just fine and tbh look pretty much like all brifters to me - a chunk of rubber with a couple of levers dangling down. I'm afraid that cycling reviews can be fixated by marginal issues at times.

For sure there will be those who find the hoods comfy and those who won't but it seems to me that that text is all about filling a page with nth degree hogwash esp' when eg clipping the brake lever interfers with shifting performance as with all Shimano STI's - I mean, seriously, unless you somehow missed out on the dexterity gene at conception you'd have to try really hard to do that more than once every umpteen thousand miles.

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
Can you not try the bike out? Or at least one with the same brifters?

That's the answer.

I have one bike with Ultegra hydraulic STI's and the Kona with the RS505 STI's. They're obviously different, but I find both comfortable. In terms of function, I can't tell the difference in braking, but the shifting is very slightly clunkier with the 505 levers.

If you're anywhere near Nottingham you're welcome to come and have a look.

OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Hi vickster, SpokeyDokey & simon.r,

Thanks very much for your advice and links in respect of the RS505 STI's which is really helpful.

I had planned to go to a few LBS last week and search for any bike with the RS505 shifters to try them but unfortunately an incredibly busy week at work completely ruined that plan whilst I was chained to my desk. It's my wedding anniversary this weekend so no trips to the bike shops this weekend either but I will try to get to one soon to check them out.

Thanks for all of the advice and tips.

Cheers,

John

al3xsh

Über Member
OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Hi al3xsh,

Thanks for your message and this did help.

Also thanks again to simon.r because following his positive feedback about this bike I decided the follow his lead by taking the plunge and buying the 2016 Kona Roadhouse. It's just arrived and in between family commitments I had just enough time for a quick 20 mile blast today. I have to say that going on a 20 mile blast seems like the right word to use because if anybody saw me whilst out riding I probably looked like a complete idiot due to the fact that I probably had a big grin on my face for the entire ride.

I know that 20 miles isn't nearly enough to give any proper feedback or review of a bike but on initial first impressions I absolutely love this bike! I can't wait to test it over longer rides but thus far I'm absolutely over the moon with this bike.

To try and give some balance I'll agree with both simon.r and the road.cc review that there is a whistling from the stem but if anyone found this annoying it could be easily solved by using a different stem. However everything else so far (on as much as I can tell from one short ride) is fantastic. I love that this bike combines great quality steel tubing with modern features like thru axles and hydraulic disk brakes.

Fingers crossed I feel just as happy with it after some long rides and a few months of what I'm hoping are going to be more fun miles on this bike.

Also just in case anyone else was interested I also found this Canadian bike shop review of the Kona Roadhouse whilst I was trying to read up on the bike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltLN1bOXS10

John

simon.r

Person
I'm very pleased you like it. I've got about 300 miles on mine now and really can't fault it (bar the whistling stem!)

Worth repeating that the 2017 version is listed at £3,500, so at well under half of that price I reckon this is a very good deal, which won't last forever. (2017 version has better wheels, full Ultegra and a different finish).

OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
That's a good point about the new 2017 version and that puts the bike well out of my price range. However as it is I'm absolutely over the moon with my 2016 Roadhouse!

Whilst the 2017 version with upgraded components would be a nice to have the 2016 is a cracking bike and I just loved my first ride on it and can't wait to rack up as many miles as possible.

Thinking about prices I've seen a few companies say that in 2017 prices will be rising a bit in comparison to current models so maybe now has been a good time to buy.

Top Bottom