Need some new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

opticcircus

Hi

I need to find a pair of new wheels for my hybrid which is curently running 700X40c tyres I've had a look about at the various e-tailer websites but Just dont know what I'm looking for. If I was buying for my roadbike I wouldnt have this issue can someone maybe help me please?
biggrin.gif

gbb

Legendary Member
First thing to consider Optic, is the wheel fitted with a cassette or freewheel ?
That is usually dictated by the quality of the bike. Even my Trek has a screw on freewheel, so even moderate quality bikes still have freewheels.
How many cogs on the back ?
What is the OLN ? (distance from outer locknut to outer locknut of the axle)..or take the wheel out and measure the distance between dropouts, its the same.

BSRU

A Human Being
At the beginning of March I did what you are going to do, upgraded my hybrid bike wheels, mainly because I kept breaking/bending the rear axle.

I bought Mavic A319's with Deore hubs, because my old wheels used a seven speed freewheel, I replaced this with a 7 speed freehub and a halo spacer from Wiggle.
I could have put an 8 speed freehub on but that would have required changing the gear shifter.

OP
OP
O

opticcircus

I'll have to take the wheel off and measure it when I get a chance at the weekend. I'm going to be changing the cassette and chain at the same time as they are somewhat worn.

Another question I have the wheel on the back is bolted on, I dont suppose I can change it to a quick release while I'm at it?
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom