Need to break into a syskey locked xp system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Have you've tried "repair" option from and XP boot disk?.
It wants the password first. You can get past that but it does just do a repair, you don't get any options to change anything.

I'm beginning to form the view, already expressed on here, that it is not worth trying to do this. I just didn't want to face up to the effort of re-building it. I will, as suggested, try to recover the data using a Linux boot copy and then do a rebuild with a more modern os. I'll just have to prompt the prof for the location of the missing discs which I think he's filed somewhere safe.

keithmac

Guru
Fair enough!, have you got XP sp2 to go back on?.

I ended up on most installs saving all my files to a second partition on the disk (or a second hdd), same with works computers..

It will always go tits up at some point so best be prepared!.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Fair enough!, have you got XP sp2 to go back on?.

I ended up on most installs saving all my files to a second partition on the disk (or a second hdd), same with works computers..

It will always go tits up at some point so best be prepared!.
That's an issue. With XP no longer supported there's nothing to push out updates, unless McWobble wants to nip around and turn it into a POS. I think XP has had it's day if I re-build it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It and/or SP2
Ah I see. No I've got sp3 but even after it installed that it used to run off to the servers and do a bunch of other updates and someone can tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think that will happen now, which means a re-build will leave it even more vulnerable than it was before.

Wobblers

Euthermic
That's an issue. With XP no longer supported there's nothing to push out updates, unless McWobble wants to nip around and turn it into a POS. I think XP has had it's day if I re-build it.

There's a simple registry hack to do the deed. And I never said nuffink and I was never here, right?

Actually, there's nothing hugely wrong with XP - as long as you keep it off the internet. My XP laptop rarely gets powered up (which reminds me, I really ought to, so that it can pick up the latest webPOS updates). The major issues are that all the other software on it - most crucially the web browser, as that's by far the biggest attack surface, are also out of date, so will have exposed weaknesses.

Assuming your colleague doesn't want to pay for a new Microsoft OS (and considering that Windows 10 is ghastly, I couldn't blame him) perhaps Linux Mint would be an adequate substitute? I think Libre Office might be able to cope with Word Perfect files, though you'd need to check first, obviously.

KneesUp

Guru
Oddly enough, my XP system apparently thinks it's a Point of Sale terminal, and still gets updates. I have no idea how that could have happened... :whistle:
Mine actually is an EPOS system, and I don't get updates ... goes off to google.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Many of the linux distributions are available as a "live" version, that is USB or CD whichever you choose. USB is certainly more convenient if the system in question has the ability to boot from USB.

Essentially allowing you to run the Linux OS from the disc

Download here
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Do this
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

The windows drive should show up inside Ubuntu then that is running from the CD. From this point, you can make a copy of important data onto a USB, and format the drive ready for reinstalling your XP. Better yet, just put Ubuntu on it if it's running XP.
Ubuntu has saved my life a few times when nasties have completely fubared various versions of Windows. I'm a complete amateur but I managed to get all my important files off before completely re-installing a clean OS. I got a five minute tutorial from the guy in the corner shop as I paid for some beer....and he was spot on.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

After a bit of a hiatus, I finally got back to this today. It was absolutely riddled with trojans, viruses and malware. I rescued the data off it and rinsed that through several different virus/malware/spyware programs and am now going to format the drive and re-build it.

Top Bottom