Need to find somebody. Anybody got access to the Electoral Roll?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It would have been received, since you would get an "undelivered" message if the email address was incorrect. However, as to finding out if it had been read - no, I don't think you can

Andrew

RR!
Has he been 'sorted' yet? ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Dayvo said:
RR!
Has he been 'sorted' yet? ;)

He has provided all the information he is required to provide in accordance with the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974. ;)

dodgy

cisamcgu said:
It would have been received, since you would get an "undelivered" message if the email address was incorrect. However, as to finding out if it had been read - no, I don't think you can

Andrew

There is another way, send the email in html format and have a 1x1 pixel transparent image that is stored on a web-server that you are in control of. When the email is opened, the email client will attempt to download the image (depending on the mail client configuration, but many people don't lock down their mail applications from preventing this trick from working). Make sure the image has a unique name and don't allow anyone else to know the name of it, so that way you're sure who opened it. You'll even get the guy's IP address ;)

Dave.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
There is another way, send the email in html format and have a 1x1 pixel transparent image that is stored on a web-server that you are in control of. When the email is opened, the email client will attempt to download the image (depending on the mail client configuration, but many people don't lock down their mail applications from preventing this trick from working). Make sure the image has a unique name and don't allow anyone else to know the name of it, so that way you're sure who opened it. You'll even get the guy's IP address ;)

Dave.

Dave, I'm not particularly computer literate, can you explain that again to me?

What if I was to send a small message from my work address using Outlook with a small picture in it? How would I then know if he had opened it?

dodgy

Hi RR,

you don't actually put a picture in the email, you have a picture on a website that will be downloaded when he reads the email.

A bit like this smiley here ----> :biggrin: <----, it's not actually in this message, it's being referred to.

Sorry I can't explain this any clearer ;)

Dave.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Okay, here's what I've done: I have actually spoken with his elderly father and using what I know about the bloke I have composed a letter to reverse his scam, making out that through my job in exporting to West Africa I have good connections with international anti-fraud agencies and I've rather naughtily put out an alert on his name, meaning he's likely to be detained by the Police or Immigration authorities in any EU country. If nothing else he will certainly be shocked when he next visits his home and finds the letter addressed to him with all this information about himself. Even if he doesn't repay me, with a bit of luck he will be looking over his shoulder for a while - I noticed he was nervous when he scammed me but even then I'm ashamed to admit I was taken in.

Am I about to break the law? I am only asking him to repay what he took from me. Or am I being obsessive about it and should I just let it drop and consider the whole thing a valuable lesson?

dodgy

Rigid Raider said:
Am I about to break the law?

Demanding money with menaces? Maybe, but you're morally right, though you might be digging a yourself into more problems.

Dave.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm certain of his last registered UK address but not his whereabouts. He could be anywhere in Europe.

Rigid Raider said:
Am I about to break the law? I am only asking him to repay what he took from me. Or am I being obsessive about it and should I just let it drop and consider the whole thing a valuable lesson?

It's arguable that what you are doing is blackmail under the Theft Act 1968. Best to drop it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm. I wondered when you might pitch in, Patrick! I fear you're right; maybe what I shall do is simply write a letter telling him what I think of his character and just imagine the shock on his face when he reads it on his next visit home. You never know, it might just prompt him to cough up the cash if he's got any conscience at all.

A mate of mine had a similar problem.
He shat on some plastic kitchen roll, moulded it into a Toblerone packet and send it to the culprit! :rolleyes:

There is always some way of getting your revenge, RR. You probably won't get your money, but you'll get a sense of satisfaction.

Top Bottom