Need to spray paint two stems..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have two bikes one with 100mm stem and one with a 90mm stem and need to change them from one bike to the other but the colours are different.
One is a satin matt black and the other is a stealth coloured matt balck but would look odd if I changed them over.
One cure would be to spray them again and basically swop colours.
How is the best way to go about spraying them so it looks good?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's only one way to spray anything. Strip back to bare metal and spray it.

arch684

Veteran
Strip them down to bare metal,sand them down,apply 2 coats of etch primer and then 2/3 coats of paint with a light sand between coats then apply lacquer

S.Giles

Might be simpler just to...live with it.
Everything else in my life would have to be just perfect before I would spend any time worrying about something like that.

If they're aluminium they probably have an anodised finish anyway. A painted finish would be inferior.

S.Giles

Nothing wrong with wanting your bike to look perfect.
Better not to actually ride it, then. The achievement of perfection is a battle you can only ever lose. For that reason, waging war on imperfection is not that rewarding. Each to his own, though.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to teach car painting, I seldom strip back to bare metal, why would you when a flatted paint surface gives a good key.

bpsmith

Veteran
Better not to actually ride it, then. The achievement of perfection is a battle you can only ever lose. For that reason, waging war on imperfection is not that rewarding. Each to his own, though.
There's no black without white, no wrong without right and no fun in winning unless losing is a potential result.

Wanting your bike to look perfect doesn't mean you think it ever will, else we'd all be riding bikes cobbled together with any old part that works. ;)

S.Giles

...else we'd all be riding bikes cobbled together with any old part that works.
Hmm... that idea sounds vaguely familiar! :-)

mh63k6.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom