Need tyre advice due to my own stupidity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last yr the hub on my cx rear wheel went up the spout
I bought a replacement but a week later, a nasty infection kept me off the bike for 8 months.
Been out on two rides since and got snake-bite flats on both, only to find I had bought a 622x13c rim.
Can anyone advise what size tyres I need as I can't afford
A new wheel

Thanks
Tony

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Pump the tyres up harder

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try this, which suggests an 18-25mm width tyre.

mavic-ETRTO-ISO-rim-width-and-tire-standards-chart.gif

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, more air, that's all it needs. If they are OE it would be specific to the rim.
If you didn't put air in them for eight months you can see the cause.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @cyclops, @DCLane , @Dogtrousers , @raleighnut , in each ride they were at 60psi, but as mentioned, it coulda been the tubes wintering in the bike shed.
Possibly being a bit of a chimp here, but I've never heard of and cannot find 622 Rim tyres, I've only ever had or used ,26 inch and 700c
622 is 700c

How wide are the tyres? If 25mm or less, 60psi is below the minimum recommended (even if you weigh about 8 stone). It’ll give recommended min and max pressures on the side of the tyre somewhere

Do you have a track pump with a gauge?

My bikes live outdoors in a metal shed through winter. Yes, the tyres need pumping up but have never disintegrated by spring

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Thanks @vickster , I never knew that a622 was a 700,!!!
On my roadie they'd always be minimum 80 psi using a track pump with guage and my cx at least 60
All the feedback has been appreciated y,all.
Time for me to order a new 700x25 tyre

BurningLegs

Veteran
I use a CX bike as a road bike with 28mm slick tyres. I run at 80psi and never had a snakebite, at a weight of 70-75 KG depending on time of year!

60psi sounds very low for a 25mm tyre. Thinner tyres should be inflated to higher pressures than wider ones.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
@BurningLegs , I agree, , was my own fault. Part of the reason for the lower pressure was...(TMI ALERT), infection caused by bladder cancer immunotherapy causing chronic prostatitis which can be very painful, so also fitted a soft fatass saddle to relieve the pressure on the nether region.

Top Bottom