Negative supermarket own brand reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you want bad instant coffee, just try Maxwell House... xx(

As for cheap jars, go for Tesco's or Sainsbury's (I think Asda can also be included) Own Label Cheapest/Basic Lemon or Orange Curd.... not even got butter in it, but at 22p (or 25p... could even be 22p) it makes jar very cheap and the glue on the label is that bad it dissolves in hot water and leaves no residue! :wacko:

Excellent for Jam making and a cheap source of jars when you have run out of recycled ones!

I did the same thing when I was making chutney. It was cheaper to buy cheapest Tesco jam, bin the jam and keep the jar, rather than buy jars

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I hadn't thought of that, but isn't throwing the original contents away a bit wasteful? What could be done with it? Wallpapering?

I can tell you that Tesco cheapest own label Jam is Jam in name only. I suppose I could use it to stick innertube patches

Best jam and marmalade I've had was in Norway. Solid with fruit or peel.

When it comes to some items it's value brands all the way. eg. Tinned tomatoes from whatever brand have to be picked and canned when they are ripe.
I can only drink instant coffees with milk, haven't found one I can drink black yet.

Davidc

Guru
Lavazza espresso beans can be had two for a fiver at Asda.

The ground version as well and cheapest when Sainsbury's don't have the 3 packs. The 3 packs at Sainsbury's are the cheapest I've found at 3 for just over a fiver, when they have them.

I find the greengrocer's veg to be much fresher and cheaper than any supermarket. I can't say I much prefer Lavazza over decent supermarket fairtrade coffee beans, but I do like Illy.

Illy's good too, another good Italian brand.

You haven't tried the greengrocer next door to me! If I'm in the centre of town I use the greengrocer there and then what you say is right, and they're cheaper too without any stupid multi-buy offers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When it comes to some items it's value brands all the way. eg. Tinned tomatoes from whatever brand have to be picked and canned when they are ripe.
They put more juice in some of the cheap ones. Check the drained weight!

Top Bottom