Negative supermarket own brand reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
All instant coffee has a nasty aftertaste and I just don't like it. I generally stick to Lavazza, usually the red ground one or the espresso version. it needs to be drunk soon after brewing whether prepared filter or espresso, and I like it strong and black with no sugar. Supermarket own brands I've tasted are all inferior. When it's on sale in 3 for the price of 2 packs the Lavazza Red is no more expensive than supermarket brands.

HOWEVER I really can't understand the difference between a Sainsbury's basic cauliflower and a standard one, except for the price. Same goes for other vegetables and fruit.

I go to Waitrose when in Wellington specially to buy one of their own-brand tapenades which is IMO superb, but agree with comments above for most of their own-brand things, often bought by some family members.
Lavazza espresso beans can be had two for a fiver at Asda.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
We used to get br'oken biscuits' cheap and it was any product that wasn't quite right (so under OR overweight) - the best by far was when we got failed 'Bar 6' this was just solid choccy!!

I've come across some biscuits like that.

They do a little pot of pineapple in juice, just make sure you don't pick up the jelly ones. Sometimes I add bacon, mushrooms, slices of onion .... :hungry:

Lavazza espresso beans can be had two for a fiver at Asda.

You can't make a decent cup of coffee with 2 beans.

U

User482

They do a little pot of pineapple in juice, just make sure you don't pick up the jelly ones. Sometimes I add bacon, mushrooms, slices of onion .... :hungry:
I suspect @brodiej was pointing out that adding pineapple to pizza is a heinous crime.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Your'e talking rubbish - you put the apostrophe in absolutely the wrong place for anything you wrote about greengrocery to make sense.
I'm presuming you did that on purpose?:laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am a jam snob; I can't stomach low quality jam or marmalade. So when I once bought Tescos Finest raspberry preserve (jam, actually, you pretentious nobbers) I wasn't expecting much.
It is actually excellent stuff, up there with Tiptree but without the same reassuringly expensive price tag.

U

User482

Preserve should mean larger pieces of fruit than you find in jam, so it's not necessarily snobbery.

If you want bad instant coffee, just try Maxwell House... xx(

To be fair those jars are excellent for keeping assorted nuts and bolts in. Just tip the coffee straight out.
As for cheap jars, go for Tesco's or Sainsbury's (I think Asda can also be included) Own Label Cheapest/Basic Lemon or Orange Curd.... not even got butter in it, but at 22p (or 25p... could even be 22p) it makes jar very cheap and the glue on the label is that bad it dissolves in hot water and leaves no residue! :wacko:

Excellent for Jam making and a cheap source of jars when you have run out of recycled ones!

Top Bottom