Negative supermarket own brand reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
You coffee snobs you :smile: Last weekend on our Winchester to Croydon ride we stopped at a cafe. I asked for a coffee and wasn't asked what type of milk I wanted, or even if I wanted milk, just given a cup of white instant coffee. I am sure it was the cheapest catering coffee money can buy, but it was warm and wet and quite nice really. There is a time and place for your fancy milk options, bean varieties, roast strength etc. And the Greco Grill in Bordon isn't one of them.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Well I can thoroughly recommend Asda's Digestive biscuits rather than Mcvities. They've got less sugar in them.

Do they have some questionable substance in instead?

House brands have come a long way. I am surprised that they can get instant coffee wrong. Most of the home brands are actually supplied by the same well known brands that are stocked in the same aisle but with basics stuff. They got the volumes, the means and research has shown that it does not cannibalise their market share. Much of the World's supply of instant coffee comes from Vietnam of the robusta variety. Even the coffee chains that we known use them for the filter coffee (instant).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25811724

I plan to pick up and give it a go for curiosity sake.

albion

Guru
I'm drinking filter coffee now, not cheap, no milk, no sugar.

Yet, for some reason, the same quality stuff in a flask ends up tasting disgusting. Cheap instant coffee with sugar however tastes fine.
And I can enjoy a a cappuccino when using cheap instant coffee.

So I guess people buy it for different uses.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Co-op fair trade coffee tastes like shite. They shouldn't even be allowed to call it coffee.
I don't know what shite tastes like. But if it's anything like Co-op fair trade coffee I will not be trying it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lidl don't do own brands, so that's one less decision to be taken when shopping:smile:.
There are Lidl only brands though so I'm not sure what the difference is?

I use Tesco value bin liners. On a Wednesday evening I go round the house, empty all the bins into said value bin liner, knot the top and dump it in the wheelie bin...don't see much point in buying luxury bin liners. Same with the swing bin bags...except they go straight into the value bin liner and into the wheelie bin!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I usually buy Sainsbury's own brand small cheese pizzas then add pineapple, peperami & lots of cheese.

Sainbury's taste the difference peaberry coffee beans are really nice.

Top Bottom