Negative supermarket own brand reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I work in food factories most days

A lot of supermarket branded food comes off the same production lines as branded food.

I was chatting with the occupational health nurse at a company I used to work for about 10 years ago. She was a contractor so she was also working for other companies. One of them was the company that make Soreen malt loaf. She told me that the company making Soreen also made supermarket own label malt loaf.

Just a great big hopper mixing the stuff. Some days they would package it with Soreen packaging, some days with the own label packaging

young Ed

Veteran
much of the tesco every day value stuff is great and excellent VFM
but coffee, when i drink coffee i only drink coffee. none of this instant fake wannabe 'coffee'!
Cheers Ed

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We only buy 2 branded foods, PG Tips tea bags and McVities digestive biscuits. Everything else is house brand. I don't drink coffee at home anymore so no idea if house instant would taste like Shiite..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I usually buy Sainsbury's own brand small cheese pizzas then add pineapple, peperami & lots of cheese.
Blinking heck! Is it worth the cost and chemicals not to mix flour, yeast and warm water, knead, wait, part-bake and spread some tomato paste on it?

I like the nicer coop ground coffee but the basic one's not great. The decaf and Italian blends are better than many named brand ones.

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Gosh and blimey...instant coffee can be perfectly fine...and the reason I asked for a rich blend own brand jar was that Tesco and Morrisons do them very well indeed...taste exactly the same as Nescafe Gold Blend...so if you like that, try them instead...cuts a few pennies off a jar...also worth recommending are Tesco's own pizza's from the chilled aisle, large packets of dry roasted peanuts, deodorants, creams, soaps, cereals, tea bags, bread, vegetarian 'meat' and pre-packed sandwiches...I buy many own brands and...contrary to popular belief, most are better for you...less additives...bizarre thing is that when you pay more for things, they often do you more harm...very odd world we live in...

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sainsburys ibuprofen 35p for 16 tablets or Nurofen for £2.99.
Only a fool would by the branded ones.

Asda and Aldi are even cheaper at 24p only a fool would buy Sainsbury's ones.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Blinking heck! Is it worth the cost and chemicals not to mix flour, yeast and warm water, knead, wait, part-bake and spread some tomato paste on it?

I suggested to my OH I might do that after learning to cook lasagne & pies. I think she's getting used to my adventures.

Top Bottom