Neighbour’s extension

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Tin Pot, 9 Jul 2018.

1. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Cyclechat for this kind of advice, I know, I know.

Neighbour is doing a kitchen extension which aim okay with. Saw the plans about nine months ago, haven’t objected to the planning permission. Extension means putting foundations on my property then putting the fence back where it was.

Work has started - shouldn’t I have met a surveyor by now?

I would have thought some assurance that they’re doing everything right is required.

2. Eddy

Eddy Guru

I am in Scotland so does not apply to me but should you not have a party wall agreement in place before building work starts in England?!

User43827 likes this.
  3. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I was under the impression they cant do that.
    Must be built inside their boundary.
    I had too.
    Then we both made a double and i have 4 brick skins now on the original kitchen extension party wall.
    And standard double for the first floor.

Check drawing and planning

4. PK99

PK99 Guru

For that sort of work I'd be looking to see a formal Party Wall agreement.

Beebo and meta lon like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

We’re not sharing the wall, it’s just the foundation that crosses into mine. Does that matter?

6. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

7. postman

postman Legendary Member

Would it cause problems if in so many years you decide to sell and move,would the new owners have a right to complain.

Mrs M and classic33 like this.
  8. midlife

midlife Veteran

Not sure I'd like the neighbour's foundations on my property.......

Mrs M and SteCenturion like this.
  9. Eddy

Eddy Guru

If the foundations are in your garden chances are the eaves will also be in your garden.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

As I remember the work has to be signed off at certain stages by a Council Building Inspector.

11. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

the Problem is that foundations are wider than the walls, so if the neighbour builds up to the boundary the foundations should be built in such a way that they do not enter your land.

If you want to build a wall along that boundary you can’t now because the neighbours foundations are in the way.

You need to consult a party wall surveyor asap and the neighbor is obliged to pay his fees.

12. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

They can access your land to dig the foundation trench but the actual foundations should not encroach into your land.

13. Drago

Drago Guru

If someone wanted to dig holes on my property I would happily let them do so, in exchange for money.

Inertia and screenman like this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I'd keep an eye on where the builders put the wall, not unheard of to nick a bit of next-doors unless the boundary is clearly marked.

Mrs M and classic33 like this.
  15. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Should be covered in the plans submitted and any amendments.

Mrs M and Drago like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice