Neighbours Grrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was not sure where to put this but I could do with some advice.
Our next-door neighbours have very loud parties in their flat. Last night they didn't shut up until gone half past 3 in the morning. Friday night they finally shut up somewhere around 4am.

We have only lived here around 4 months and we are on a probationary tenancy for 12 months and we are worried that if we go to the housing association about the lass and her loud guitar playing pals who laugh at maximum volume, that it might count against us.
We have tried speaking to the lass next door, who's name I have forgotten, but she is so stoned off her face she just says "yeah, ok" and goes back up to her flat.

I have never been on a probationary tenancy before and don't want to rock the boat but I am really in need of some sleep. I have had 6 hours sleep over the last 2 nights and feeling pretty unreasonable right now. We should have been on the Tour-de-Broads today but couldn't face 110km on 2 hours sleep so gave it a miss. Disappointing but I am knackered.
Any advice at all?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Report them.

Look at it this way, if you get your tenancy assured, do you want to live with this for ever?

It's them doing wrong. Why would you be penalised. If the association acted that way, I'd not want to be their tenant anyway!

TVC

As above, complain to the housing association and the appropriate council department. It may turn out that the previous occupents of your flat had similar issues.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Get the police involved, especially if "substances" are involved they will have a word and will involve the councils environmental health dept. If she continues on this course she may well be in line for an ASBO. Don't be afraid to rock the boat. Your health is at stake.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Unfortunately I have vast experience of bad neighbours since we moved here 8 years ago.

My advice is to start a nuisance diary, authorities need it to pursue things. The good news is if your methodical in collecting data and evidence is that it will get sorted eventually.

One neighbour is due in court soon for public disorder and the other has been charged with harassment. So things do work out in the end.

Good luck.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can you download a decimeter/sound meter for your phone & see how loud it actually gets. Consider recording it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
^ the posts above have pretty much covered it but definitely put a complaint in through the council's environmental health and your HA.
Hope this gets resolved.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thank you all.
I popped and had a chat with my downstairs neighbour, Jules - who is just shattered - as she too is kept awake by them. We are both ringing the council tomorrow morning to complain.
It seems that my downstairs neighbour, who works nights, has complained several times before about this lassie. The noisy lass's BF has just been evicted from his flat and says that its fine as he was going to move in with lassie anyway. Joy and rapture. Jules recorded last night's racket. Lassie was on a final warning but as she moved to temp accomodation for 15 months the complaints have 'dropped off' so we have to start from scratch, its not that I don't like Bob Marley but I'm not so keen at 2am.
As above, complain to the housing association and the appropriate council department. It may turn out that the previous occupents of your flat had similar issues.
Didn't they just. When lassies flat was empty after fire damage and the flat we are in had water damage, the previous tenant took the opportunity to move into a temporary (now permanent) flat in Norwich. Apparently the A47 is quieter. The downstairs neighbours and the immediate neighbours either side all rang the council when they were told that lassie was moving back in. They wrote, emailed and phoned to ask the council to leave her where she was but to no avail. The old neighbours, from when she was in a temp flat, are overjoyed at her leaving.

Downstairs neighbour to me and downstairs neighbour to lassie took great delight in mowing the garden at 9.30 this morning apparently. I was just leaving the flat then.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Complaining will not go against you especially as there is more than one person in your block that is affected. If you band together with the other neighbours things should get moving. It is also worth mentioning to the housing association that this is anti social behaviour and prosecutable with the assistance of the Police. All the comments above are right especially the diary and any other evidence that you can get. It may take some time but it will be worth it. As you will be aware Lassie will have to abide by rules like everyone else and if she doesn't then she should be moved and has potentially made herself homeless.

byegad

Legendary Member
Go round and shoot her and her friends in the head a bit.

Not a possibility today?

It will be if you and she and you stay. I had a similar neighbour for about 3 months, before the landlord threw her out, mainly due to Police getting interested.

Seriously, why do you want to put up with this, the Local Council has a duty to do something about this.

Last edited:

TVC

Sounds like strength in numbers. Is it a private landlord you are with and is it the same as the moron?

Sara_H

Guru
We had similar problems years ago, our neighbour had drug fueled perties with music pounding all night. I remember one noght it was still blaring as I went to work at 630!
Not much we could do, as the property was privately owned. But I feel your pain.

Last edited:

Tcr4x4

Veteran
We had similar problems years ago, our neighbour had drug fueled perties with music pounding all night. I remember one noght it was still blaring as I went to work at 630!
Not much we could do, as the property was privately owned. But I feel your pain.

Of course you could do something..police, environmental health...

I had a letter from EH last year about a noise complaint agaisnt me, which was a shock as I'm one of the quietest people I've ever met.
I invited them around to discuss it, and it turned out it was my neighbour who is a regular complainer and makes stuff up for the attention. They still had to follow it up though.

Sara_H

Guru
Of course you could do something..police, environmental health...

I had a letter from EH last year about a noise complaint agaisnt me, which was a shock as I'm one of the quietest people I've ever met.
I invited them around to discuss it, and it turned out it was my neighbour who is a regular complainer and makes stuff up for the attention. They still had to follow it up though.
Yes we looked into it, but it was a long road to go down.

In the end he moved out and rented the property out, was such a relief. He moved back in a few years later, but with a wife and life seems much quieter now!

Top Bottom