England : Hampshire Nelson's Tour de Test Valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
A friend let me know about the Nelson's Tour de test Valley ride on 7th September in Hampshire, in memory of Nelson Pratt, a professional snowboarder and keen cyclist.

I have got a pass from management so am planning on taking. I was wondering if any of the more local CCers are likely to be taking part.

Link to ride site here: http://nelsonstourdetestvalley.co.uk

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
The ride is this Saturday, departure from flat Suffolk to hilly Hampshire Friday afternoon.

Two main challenges;
1. We are camping the night before, so trying not to drink the night before
2. The small matter of 5,500 feet of ascent. Have I mentioned that we don't have hills in Suffolk

Onwards and upwards!

y2blade

The ride is this Saturday, departure from flat Suffolk to hilly Hampshire Friday afternoon.

Two main challenges;
1. We are camping the night before, so trying not to drink the night before
2. The small matter of 5,500 feet of ascent. Have I mentioned that we don't have hills in Suffolk

Onwards and upwards!

Wish i'd have known about this sooner, stumbled across it as have just googled "cycle event 7th sept hampshire" as have just seen a load of red arrow markers on way home from evening out.

Have a good ride, do let us know how you get on.
Good luck
Chris.

Neil363

I planned to do this as my first proper organised ride but left it late to book and all places were gone. Shame because it looks a nice route. Will definitely keep an eye out for it again next year.

Have had to settle for a spot on the New Forest 100 instead.

Enjoy your ride.

kipster

Guru
I started the 50 mile route but split the tyre at 21 miles, the on call mechanic couldn't find me and after waiting for him for over two hours I called the wife to come and find me. The road at the point where the tyre went was nasty, while I was waiting I helped two others with p**ctures.

It was a very well organised, friendly ride and I will sign up next year, but for the 100 miles to avoid that road.

http://www.strava.com/activities/80702958

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
There did seem to be plenty of people with punctures. The guy I was riding with bad one, caused by a small piece of glass, we also passed plenty of folk fixing their flat tyres.

Fortunately I managed to avoid an unplanned deflation.

I now carry a tyre boot as part of my spares package to use for tyre splits. I figure as long as I have one, I'll never need it...

kipster

Guru
The knackered tyre has become a test to see if I can fashion some sort of tyre boot, I will also be buying a tyre boot as well, as you say if I have it I shouldn't need it.

Top Bottom